Powerful Microsoft.NET platform for development
The.NET Framework, pronounced as dot net is a software framework by Microsoft. It primarily runs on Windows and includes a huge class library or known an FCL or Framework Class Library and offers language interoperability across various programming languages. Programs written for.NET execute in a software environment that is known as CLR or Common Language Runtime, app virtual machine that gives services like memory management, security and exception handling.
THE BEGINNING OF.NET
Microsoft begun developing.NET in the late 90’s, under the original name of NGWS or Next Generation Windows Service. By the later part of 2000, the first beta versions were released. In August of that year, Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft and Intel worked to standardize the CLI or Common Language Infrastructure and C#. By December of the following year, both were ratified ECMA standards. In April 2003, ISO followed. The present version of ISO standards are ISO/IEC 2327:2012 and ISO/IEC 23270:2006.
The.NET Framework begun as a proprietary framework, even though the company worked in standardizing the software stack almost right away, even before the first release. Regardless of the standardization efforts, developers, especially those in the open-source and free communities expressed unease with the chosen terms and prospects of any free and open-source implementation, particularly when it comes to software patents. Microsoft since then changed the development of.NET to follow more closely a modern model of a community-developed software project that includes issuing an update to the patent promise to address the issues.
.NET LEAD TO A FAMILY OF PLATFORMS
The framework lead to a family of.NET platforms that target mobile computing, alternative operating systems, embedded devices and browser plugins. A lowered version, the.NET Compact Framework is available on Windows CE platforms that include Windows Mobile devices like smart phones. The.NET Micro framework is aimed at embedded devices that are severely resource-constrained. Silverlight was available as a browser plugin. Mono is available for a lot of operating systems and tailored into popular smart phone operating systems such as iOS and Android and game engines. The.NET Core targets cloud-based and cross-platform workloads aside from the UWP or Universal Windows Platform.
SOME UNIQUE FEATURES OF THE.NET FRAMEWORK
What makes.NET so good? In truth, there are a lot of server-side technologies around, each has its own strengths and weaknesses. However,.NET has some unique features, such as the following:
- It lets you one write server-side code with the use of one’s favorite programming language, or at least one that a developer prefers from the long list of supported languages. Currently, the framework supports more than 40 languages, and most of these could be used in building.NET websites.
- The.NET pages are compiled, rather than interpreted. In its predecessor, the pages were interpreted, thus each time a user will request a page, the server will read the code into memory, then determine how to execute the code and then execute it. In. NET, the server only need to find out how to execute the code once. Code is compiled into efficient binary files, which could be run very fast again and again with on overhead involved in rereading the page every time. This enables a huge jump in performance, in comparison to ASP’s old day.
- NET has full access to the framework’s functionality. Support for web services, XML, email, database integration, regular expressions and a lot more technologies are built right into.NET, saving time from reinventing the wheel.
- The framework makes it easy to reuse common UI elements in a lot of web forms since it enables developers to save the components as independent web user controls.
- NET allows separating server-side code in the pages from the HTML layout. When working with a team that is comprised of design specialists and programmers, the separation is a huge help, since it enables programmers to modify server-side code but not stepping on the carefully made HTML of the designer and vice versa.
EFFCIENT TOOL FOR.NET
Visual Studio Community is a wonderful IDE available for free. Nevertheless, one could also check out Visual Studio Code to experience lightweight code editing. VS Core runs on Windows as well as other platforms and has full support for.NET Core.
COUNTLESS OPPORTUNITIES FROM.NET
.NET defines a standard which a system could be developed. The platform by Microsoft offers countless opportunities for various systems and services to interact, letting programmers develop powerful web solutions. A major theme of.NET is the idea of web services, enabling software to directly communicate with other software through the use of internet technologies. The framework, as well as Visual Studio, two more core aspects of this initiative, give a multi-language environment wherein developers could build web services as well as other kinds of apps.
Without doubt,.NET made web development more effective. It defines a standards in which programs could be developed in a most efficient manner.
Ritesh Mehta is the Sales Director at TatvaSoft Australia, a Software & mobile app development company. For Over 15 years, he has been professionally active in financial management, software development.