How to Remove Temporary Files in Windows 10
Posted: Feb 03, 2017
Temporary files accumulate in different forms over time on your system. These files not only occupy precious disk space but they also affect system speed and performance negatively. You can remove these temporary files on your system manually or you can use PC cleaner software programs as well. Let’s discuss ways to remove temporary files in Windows.
Delete temporary files in Windows 10
There is a safe and instant method to remove temporary files in Windows 10 system. To do this, you can use the Settings app from the system menu to safely remove all temporary files in Windows 10 computer without installing additional software. Follow these simple steps to get rid of temporary files instantly.
- Go to Start menu and select Settings app by clicking its icon in the left pane of the system.
- Under Settings app click on System icon.
- Click on Storage and then on Drive where Windows 10 is installed (it is generally shown as This PC). Your system also displays Windows logo on the drive where Windows 10 is installed.
- Click on the system drive (where Windows 10 is installed), it will open a Storage Usage page. It will display all the details including apps & games, system and reserved files, pictures, documents, videos, music and other files. It will also display temporary files and space occupied by them. Click on Temporary files icon to open Temporary files page.
- Now on Temporary files page, click on the checkbox next to Temporary files and then click on the Remove files button. Confirm it in confirmation dialog box by clicking OK.
Note: Windows 10 consider space occupied by Downloads folder, the previous version of Windows, Recycle Bin, and temporary files while calculating the size of the Temporary files on your computer.
This simple process will help you remove all temporary files on your system instantly to recover some precious disk space.
Alternatively, you can use another method too, to remove temporary files. Follow these steps for next method.
- Go to Start menu and type %temp% in the Run dialog box and press Enter. (You can also open Run dialog box by pressing Windows logo and R key)
- It will open the Temp folder containing all temporary files on your system. Select all the files & folders and click on Delete button to remove all temporary files. Wait for a while until the deletion process completes.
Note: All deleted files from the temporary folder will go to Recycle Bin. You can keep those files in Recycle Bin for few days as you can restore them from it if your system works abnormally. Else you can go to Recycle Bin on your system, right-click on it and select Empty Recycle bin option. Confirm it in the pop-up window to remove all files from Recycle Bin.
You can follow these simple methods to remove all temporary files from your system. It will help you recover a considerable amount of disk space to speed up your system performance. Apart from these inbuilt options, you can also use PC Cleaner software to remove all unnecessary files from your system including temporary files. These PC Cleaner software tools help you remove these files instantly to recover some precious disk space. Additional space recovered through removing unnecessary files on your system will improve system speed and performance considerably.
Sneha Capoor is a content writer and her keen interest is writing about technicak topics.