Top 10 Composite Decking Care and Cleaning Tips
Posted: Feb 05, 2017
Make sure that your composite deck retains its natural charm by following these 10 easy care and upkeep steps to help keep your composite deck looking great throughout the year:
10. Never use shovels or sharp-edged edges to remove snow and ice from your deck.
9. Place a vinyl-backed splash guard mat underneath your grill.
8. For oil and grease spots, speedy clean up is the best. The longer the oil or grease is seated on the surface the more likely it is to soak into composite wood fibers.
7. Use exceptional caution with pressure washers when washing your deck. Use at pressures lower than 1,500 psi at 12" above the porch surface. This will help avoid stripping paint off any surface. There are lots of pressure washers available at under 1,500 PSI and most come with variable spouts and variable pressures.
6. Keep clutter out of gaps between the decking planks so rain showers can remove plant pollen
5. If mold and mildew is definitely present on your outdoor patio, there are many industrial products available for shaking out mold. We recommend the following industrial cleaners.
30 Seconds ® Outdoor Cleaner by Collier Manufacturing, LLC is safe to use around lawn and plants when used as directed and is biodegradable once rinsed into the soil.
Composite Deck Cleaner & Enhancer by Expert Chemical Company is a heavy duty, mildly alkaline chlorinated mold and mildew remover/cleaner. Follow manufacturers' instructions.
4. Clear your deck as often as needed, at minimum twice every year. Doing this gives you the jump on any mold or moss growing into your deck.
3. Keep a deck that is completely dry and well-maintained. Remove accumulated dirt with a floor brush or by applying soap, water and a scrub brush, scrubbing in the direction of the grain pattern.
2. Improve water drainage or grade soil to get rid of stagnant water under decks. Direct downspouts, downspout extensions and splashguards away from decks.
1. Ensure sufficient air flow beneath and between decking boards to protect against mold growth. This will help in more ways than one, but is a great way to keep your composite deck looking great.
Mike H owns a Pressure Washing business in Florida, and reviews pressure washers at https://bestpressuretools.com