Directory Image
This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

A Basic Guide for Engineers’ Skilled Migration in Australia

Author: Catherine Walsh
by Catherine Walsh
Posted: Apr 08, 2016

When it comes to Australian immigration, technicians and skilled workers are always at an advantage especially for engineering professions. Skilled Occupation List (SOL) is a great example of this. Individuals with specialisation in Engineering filed, indicated in SOL list, will not require any work experience while applying for a skilled migration visa to Australia. Here are some of the little known facts benefitting engineers who wish to apply permanent residency in Australia.

Improve English Language Testing

One of the most efficient way to improve the chance of qualifying for skilled migration is to achieve a level of English higher than competent English. With PTE Academic Test result 65 band in each or equivalent (Proficient level) or 79 points in each or equivalent (Superior level), applicants would rewarded with 10 and 20 points respectively. Please note that Engineers Australia currently does not accept PTE Academic test results as part of the skill assessment criteria yet.

Complete a Professional Year in Australia

The Engineers Australia’s Professional Year in Engineering was developed by Engineering Education Australia (EEA) to equip international students with the skills and experience needed to start a professional career. In addition, Engineering applicants would receive 5 points for having completed a professional year in Australia in the four years before invited to apply Permanent Residency in Australia.

State/Territory Sponsorship

Engineering occupations have been considered as one of the most demanding and well paid professions in Australia. Holding an Engineering degree will improve chances of getting permanent residency in Australia. Each state has its own list of engineering occupations which are in high demand. Getting nominated as an Engineer profession by a state government can be very beneficial, especially when it comes to SkillSelect including extra 5 -10 migration points, priority visa processing etc.

Skilled Recognised Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)

For those who have completed an engineering degree within the last 2 years period in a recognised institutes would be eligible to apply a Skilled Recognised Graduate Visa (Subclass 476) to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience. To be eligible for this type of visa, the qualification must be at the bachelor level or higher and with an institution which offers courses have been specified by Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Similar like 485 graduate visa, 476 visa holders would have the right to work and undertake any studies including Professional Year in Engineering.

To Summarise

Engineering is one of the most favoured occupations when it comes to Australian immigration and many recent changes made by the Australia government makes the visa application process even more easier and streamlined for engineers. However to get a permanent residency in Australia can still be a very complex and long process, get in touch with a qualified migration specialist to learn more on skilled migration to Australia before lodging a visa application!

About the Author

Catherine Walsh is a content writer at Splashsys Webtech. She loves writing about information technology, fiction, and search engine marketing information. In the free time, she loves exploring the internet to dig out interesting facts and ideas.

Rate this Article
Leave a Comment
Author Thumbnail
I Agree:
Author: Catherine Walsh

Catherine Walsh

Member since: Nov 03, 2014
Published articles: 153

Related Articles