Marine Safety Requirements For Private Boats
Posted: Dec 24, 2013
Without a doubt, ensuring complete safety is essential before starting a journey on private boats. The type and number of the required safety equipment majorly depend on how the private boat has to be taken offshore. Responsible travelers always carry extra gear with them and keep the safety equipment in good condition.
Safety Requirements For Traveling On Still Waters:
Rivers, lakes and estuaries are counted as still waters. The vessels and boats operating or sailing on still waters need to carry certain safety equipment; below-mentioned are some considerations:
- Boats that are seven meters or above must carry a Bilge Pump and boats that are less than seven meters can carry either a Bilge Pump or Bailer. Boats having self-draining deck do not require Bilge Pumps. The Bilge Pump must have the capability of draining 4000 liters of water in an hour.
- Liquid gas fuelled boats and boats having inboard motors must have a Fire Extinguisher for emergency cases.
Safety Requirements For Traveling On Turbulent Waters:
- Personal Floatation Devices or Lifejackets are a must for traveling on Turbulent Waters. The Lifejackets must be according to the size of the people that are on board and they must be in good condition and should be easily accessible.
- The Anchor on board must be of approved quality and must be in good condition. The Anchor must have the ability to work even on sandy seabed and the length of the Anchor chain should suit the water depth.
- Help Signals like search lights, signal bells and flash lights are very essential for traveling on Turbulent Waters.
- Marine Radio is a very essential device for traveling on unprotected waters. It can be tuned in to the working frequency of the nearby Sea Rescue Group in case of emergencies.
Additional Safety Paraphernalia:
- First Aid Kit
- Extra Battery
- Extra Fuel
- Good Supply of Fresh Drinking Water
- Alternate Power Supply
- Tool Kit
- Life Boy
Gulf International Marine Services Co. LTD. GIMSCO is a Dubai based Marine Supplier. The company was founded in the year 1990 and has ever since built an enviable reputation amongst Marine Suppliers. GIMSCO is known for providing a wide range of products required in Marine Industry. It provides Marine Supplies not only for the ports of United Arab Emirates but all around the world. For information about Marine Supplies and services of GIMSCO log on to www.gimsco.net.
Author is representing this article on behalf of GIMSCO. GIMSCO is a leading ship chandler in UAE, engaged in providing Ship Spares Parts etc. For more details, visit www.gimsco.net.