Career in animation
Posted: Jul 31, 2016
"Busykar.com aims to provide career paths to budding talent in India. It aims to give direction to students and unemployed to look out for opportunities available in market."
Career in Animation
Animation is the process by which two-dimensional drawings/pictures or inanimate objects are turned into moving pictures of three-dimensional (3-D) life. Computer hardware and soft wares are used to make the animation process easier, faster, and executable by fewercreators. Various forms of animation are:
- Cartoon and feature film animation
- Visual effects
- Gaming software
- 3-D animation
- GIF animation
In this, one at a time each picture is shot and later is shown at the rate of 24 pictures per second making the pictures appear to move.In animation, we get to see moving images when the pictures modification is done in some way. Here are some of the ways in which pictures can change:
- Change in size– Objects can get bigger or get smaller, images can grow or shrink.
- Change in position– Example is a bike-wheel moving around as the wheel runs full circle, the spokes of wheel change the position various times. Draw the wheel 5-8 times - each time showing how the spokes on the wheel have moved changing their position.
- Change in angle– Angles is changed for hands of a clock as time is passing. Each time the hands show a different angle.
- Change in speed– consider a picture of a car parked. Now draw the same car speeding down a road.
- Change in color– draw six circles and color them in different shades, each time showing how the colors are getting darker.
- Change of shape– draw a face that is sad. Now draw three other faces changing the facial expression to make, in four stages, a happy face.
Types of Animation
Below is the breakdown of 5 styles of animation giving you the insight of style and tools used for the same:
1. Traditional animation:
Traditional animation, also referred to as cel animation, is the older form of animation. In this the animator draws every frame to create the animation sequence. This was dominant form in old days in Disney until computer aided animation techniques came in existence. Few sequential Frames were drawn with hand andscreened quickly one after another as a result illusion of movement (animation) was created.
2. 2D Vector based animation:
This style has become very popular in the last decade. Technology used is Flash which is cheap and easy to use. Such are other vector based animation programs. 2D animation can be done in After Effects too.
This flexibility give learners more options when approaching animation, especially if drawing isn’t their strong skill, unlike traditional animation, when drawing skills are needed.
3. 3D computer animation:3D animation works in a entirely different way than traditional animation. 3D animationalso referred to as CGI (Computer generated images) animation is more parallel to playing with puppets rather than drawing.
In this instead of drawings, characters in 3D are digitally modeled on screen, and then fitted with a ‘skeleton’ that allows animators to animate the models and then each frame is rendered to give the required effect.
4. Motion graphics:
These are basically flat-based images, objects, texts or graphical objects that are given illusion of motion also accompanied by sound effects. It is usually for commercial or promotional purposes likeanimated logos, commercials, television promos or film opening titles.
5. Stop motion:
Stop-Motion animation refers to animations that use objects that are photographed in a sequence to generate an animated action.
Different forms are:
It refers to working with clay or play-doh characters that can easily be manipulated for animation. Alternatively, malleable material skeletonare made on which the clay is then molded for more sturdy rigs.
This form typically involves regular Puppets figures instead of clay one. In this technique physically object is moved in small intensifications between each screened frame, thus creating illusion of movement when we play the entire series of frames.
Another popular form of stop motion is Cutout. It uses Construction paper or cardboard characters, props, stiff fabric and placed on a flat surface or paper while shooting and manually repositioned to create the animation or the illusion of movement.
Below is a list of some of the popular and widely used animation and 3D animation programs.
- Blender (Free) - http://www.blender.org/
- 3D Studio Max - http://www.autodesk.com/
- 3DPlus (Free) - http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/
- Aviation:Master - http://www.hash.com/
- LightWave 3D - http://www.newtek.com/
- Elastic Reality and Avid 3D - http://www.avid.com
- Maya - http://www.alias.com/
- Macromedia Flash - http://www.macromedia.com/flash
- Motion Capture - http://www.metamotion.com/
- Poser - http://poser.smithmicro.com/
- SOFTIMAGE - http://www.softimage.com/
Recently this animation industry has a justified hype surrounding it regarding industry's expected development in the coming years.It is one of the fastest growing career options in our country.
According to a recent report by Pricewaterhouse Coopers International Limited, an international business consulting service provider, the Indian animation industry is expected to grow by, about 23% in the next four years!
The industry has found a new hub in India. This is a result of the growing reputation of India as a quality destination to outsource animation work. Production for films together with the Lord of the Rings, the Harry Potter series, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Spiderman 3 have been made here in India in last few years.
Students of animation can find jobs in allied industries. Few of the career profiles of this industry are as follows:
- 3D Modeler
- Art Director
- Film and Video Editor
- Flash Animator
- Graphic Designer
- Stop Motion Animator
- Video Game Designer
- Animation Director
- Background Painter
- Character Animator
- Character Rigger
- Color Key Artist
- Compositing Artist
- Concept Artist
- Digital Painter
- Effects Animator
- Key Animator
- Render Wrangler
- Storyboard Artist
- Texture Artist
Animation is a satisfying and money-spinning profession and is attracting youths. The starting paypackage of these animators can be in a range or Rs.10, 000 to Rs.15, 000 per month. Within a period ofthree to five years one can become a senior animator and can draw a monthly salary as much as Rs.30, 000 to Rs.40, 000. If you are really creative and imaginative having strong portfolio with some innovative projects you can expect pay scale of Rs.55, 000 per month.How do I get there?
Students who are interested in making a career in animation industry can take up courses in animation or game development after finishing Class 12.
Minimum 45% required
Graduate degree ( 3 years course)
Career in animation
Minimum 45% required
Diploma in animation (varies from 6 months to 1.5 years)
Career in animation
B. Des/ equivalent graduation
M. Des. (in animation film design)
Career in animationWhere to study? Courses can cost anywhere between 10,000 and 3 lakhs based on the period of the course and any affiliations that the institute might be having with foreign universities.Indian Institutes
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad;www.nid.edu
- Indian Institute of Digital Art & Animation (IIDAA), Kolkatawww.iidaaindia.com
- Film and Television Institute of India (FTII)www.ftiindia.com/
- Arena Animation (multiple campuses)www.arenamultimedia.in/
- Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematics (MAAC) (multiple campuses)www.maacindia.com
- Frameboxx Animationwww.frameboxx.in
- FX SCHOOL Mumbaiwww.fxschool.in
- Picasso Animation Collegewww.picasso.co.in/
- Toonz Academy (multiple campuses)www.toonzacademy.com/
- Sheridan, Canadáhttps://www.sheridancollege.ca/
- CalArts, United States https://calarts.edu/
- Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), Hong Konghttp://scad.edu.hk/en
- Dave School, Florida https://www.daveschool.com/
- Rhode Island School of Design, USA https://www.risd.edu/
- Ringling College of Art and Design,Florida, USA https://www.ringling.edu/
- Vancouver Institute of Media Arts,Canada
I hope that reading this will drive you to take the first step in pursuing your dream in animation industry.
"Busykar.com has been launched to provide communities within a city an online platform to meet, learn and earn with their hobbies and skills. Community members can login and find a suitable platform to showcase their talent, promote their small business, find a coaching class or get a break as a model or actor, join yoga or dance class."