7 Things That Matter in a Personal Injury Claim
Posted: Aug 29, 2016
Every year, hundreds of people get injured in Chicago and the numbers are big enough to turn heads. If you have been injured, the first step is to look for a Chicago personal injury attorney. In this post, we will talk of the points that matter the most if you want to file a case or fight for settlement.
1. Personal injury claims can be different and often come under a number of different categories. It is best to understand the category under which the case can be filed. Most cases in Chicago are related to auto accidents, as far as numbers are concerned.
- First things first, always seek medical attention at the earliest for you and the people involved. Claims and settlements can wait till you get initial paramedic care. It is wise to understand that cases can change if the victim fails to get initial medical care. As a victim, you should make sure that the current injuries don’t lead other losses and injuries
- Following an accident, you will have to talk to the other party for sure, but do take note of the words you say. It is best for the police to arrive at the scene, depending on the case, and in case, the police are not involved, you must file a report. The report should include all the details, including names of the parties involved. As for the statements, always say the right things, instead of making random statements that may complicate the case later.
- As a victim, you may have a lot of costs and expenses involved, which includes initial medical bills, ICU bills, bills related to damage, insurance claims and even medical checks for treatment. If you have lost wages, always talk to the employer and get the required records.
- Insurance companies are meant to help, but in many cases, they do make things tough for victim. Try to understand your claims and other aspects before you complete the negotiations. It is always good to involve a lawyer for the negotiation, especially when you are dealing with the insurance service provider and third parties.
- You might be asked to sign papers and documents in relation to the injury, but avoid the same if you are not sure of what the terms and conditions mean. Talk to your lawyer and make sure that you follow the terms in detail. Don’t sign anything that may release the other party of their liability.
- Finally, take your time to choose a lawyer. A number of legal firms often offer the first consultation for free, and you might want to talk to them in detail. Also, before you hire a firm in Chicago, ask them about their experience of handling such cases, and as needed, you can also seek more details and references. The idea is to have the best chance at the claim.
Start looking for good legal firms at the earliest following the accident and take the initial steps with care.
1 East Upper Wacker Drive #620
Chicago Illinois 60601
Keep in Touch With Us:
Search Engine Optimization is the process of improving the visibility of a website on organic ("natural" or un-paid) search engine result pages (SERPs).