6 Great Road Trip Games and Activities for Kids – Free Printable
Posted: May 04, 2018
Many folks are going to find themselves on the road this coming Holiday Season. It’s that time of year when many pack up the kids and make that long trip to Grandma’s house for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
In my earlier post I talked about ideas to keep your car neat and organized during the trip. Once you’ve done that it’s time to think of activities to keep the kids, and adults, busy and entertained during the long hours on the road. We all try to spare ourselves hours of having to listen to bickering and complaining and to avoid answering the inevitable question "Are we there yet?"
Here are a few ideas that might keep kids happy. Most of them are inexpensive and are sure to keep things entertaining.
- Ticket Time is a great way to get kids engaged in the trip. Whenever ticket time is called they must write down the time and what they enjoyed on the trip so far. It also gives them something to look forward to every hour when they get to pick a new "prize".
- This activity book by The Benson Street has games and activities for kids. Click here for FREE printable they are sharing!
- A Kid’s Travel Map is a fantastic idea from Creekside Learning. You can help your kids keep track of your route, they will know where they’ve been and where they are going. They won’t have to keep asking "Are we there yet?" The answer is right in front of them.
- Surprise Travel Bags are a great idea! Fill several paper bags with small treats, bubbles, card games, etc. like this idea from It’s Always Autumn. Mark each bag with a city or other landmark along your route. Kids get the bag when you reach the place marked on the bag. This should keep them busy until the next place is reached.
- Make a travel journal for each child. They can write down anything they see or do during not just the road trip, but throughout the whole vacation. Get free printable pages here form B. nute Productions.
- Encourage the budding photo journalists. I first did this with my grandsons on a vacation to Dubai. It worked so well we have them do it on every trip, including our last road trip to Disneyland.
Hi! I’m Carmina, also known as Nana. I love DIY projects, parties, crocheting, and traveling. I hope that you enjoy my posts and find them useful! If you have any ideas or suggestions I’d love to hear from you!