Dental Implants and their Benefits
Posted: Sep 14, 2017
Dental implants are a class of devices that replace natural teeth. They also enhance cosmetic health. They are an effective remedy for missing teeth. We discuss in this article the multiple benefits of dental implants.
What is a dental implant?
Dental implants are devices which are placed when a tooth or multiple teeth are missing or this is a artificial method of placing the teeth in the place of the lost or missing teeth.
This is a surgical process which involves replacing the lost teeth. In other words, it is the process of implanting the artificial teeth in the place of lost or failed teeth. This is done under the supervision of the concerned dentist.
Who should go for dental implants?
- People with tooth decay, root canal failure, tooth injuries, gum diseases etc come for the dental implantation.
- Elderly people who lose their teeth due to aging problems also prefer to have the dental implantation.
- Athletes who don’t use mouth guards, sometimes may face injuries in their teeth. These people also go for dental implants.
- Before going for the dental implants, consult your dentist who advises you about the dental implants and suggest you for the right dental implantation.
Types of dental implants:
Based on the size, brand and type, there are several implants among them the most preferable two types of dental implants are as follows:
- In the bone implantation (Endosteal)
- On the bone implantation (Subperostial)
This implantation is mostly used through a surgical operation by placing cylinders and screws on the jawbone.
This type of implantation is suggested for the ones who don’t want to rebuild again and again. Subperostial is mostly done for the patients having the shallow jawbone and the implant is placed under the gum.
Precautions taken after dental implants
- Good care and the maintenance of professional care plays a key role to have a long life for your teeth.
- If you want to use the antibiotics after the dental implantation contact your dentist otherwise don’t go for it.
- The recovery time depends on factors like the type of the surgery done, and it may vary from person to person.
- A good oral hygiene must be maintained to prevent the bacterial infections in the place were the implantation is made.
- After implantation, make sure to follow your dentist’s advice like cleaning of implants and other tips to protect your implants.