Directory Image
This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Fire Safety Tips To Follow This Winter

Author: Eagle Fire Protection
by Eagle Fire Protection
Posted: Jan 24, 2018
carbon monoxide

To many people, winter is the favorite time of the year when the weather brings out its mixed colors, each worth experiencing in its full glory. That said, everything in the world has dual aspects to it- the positive and negative. Winter is also the most potentially threatening time of the year when home fires become the reason for nearly 50% of fire incidents in the month of December, January, and February. That is the time of the year when your domestic fire protection Sydney needs to be at its best.

Before you turn up the heat to feel warm and cozy, read over the full article which provides a useful information to readers about essential winter fire safety tips to keep you safe during this winter season.

Space Heaters

Space heaters are used widely in homes during winters and they contribute significantly to home fires each season. Most people leave them plugged or in ''on'' mode when they are moving out of their house. This should be avoided at any cost. Only one appliance should be plugged into the electrical outlet at one time. Keep inflammable items at least 2-3 feet away from all heat sources including fireplaces, radiators, wood stoves etc.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a deadly and poisonous gas. It is called ''invisible killer'' and for a very strong reason. This odorless and colorless gas is extremely dangerous, especially in the winter season than at any other time of the year. It is created when fuels like gasoline, wood, coal or propane do not burn. Every home should deem it necessary to take necessary Sydney fire protection steps against this invisible killer. Having a carbon monoxide detector in your home is an effective way to handle the threat of carbon monoxide gas in your home.


While generators are extremely useful during long, unscheduled power cuts caused by winter storms, using them improperly can be extremely dangerous. Portable generators can cause electrical shock, carbon monoxide poisoning, or even a fire hazard when misused. It makes sense to keep your portable generator as far as possible from your home and away from different ventilation points like windows, doors, and vents. Never refuel your generator while it's running, allow it to cool down after turning it off.

Chimneys and Vents

Many people are not aware that the chimneys and vents could also become the reason for the fire. You should hire the services of a qualified and professional fire protection company every year before you start using your fireplace. Always use dry, seasoned wood when lighting your fire so that more flames and less smoke is produced. Also, make sure to store your cooled ashes in a tight, well-covered metal container, which is placed at a fair distance from your home as well as neighboring buildings.

Coming to conclusion, apart from aforementioned precautions that you can take to minimize the risks of fire incidents, you should also hire the services of a professional and well-established fire protection company for essential inspection and maintenance of your fireplaces, chimneys, and vents.

About the Author

From maintaining annual fire safety statement to installing automatic fire protection and sprinkler systems, Eagle Fire Protection is renowned company in Sydney. For details, Call :0296208885.

Rate this Article
Leave a Comment
Author Thumbnail
I Agree:
Author: Eagle Fire Protection

Eagle Fire Protection

Member since: Aug 11, 2016
Published articles: 22

Related Articles