7 Tips For Creating Engaging Social Media Caption
Posted: Jun 04, 2018
- Be proactive, stop being passive – use the active voice, where the subject, who’s doing an action, is important. This makes it more compelling and powerful. It is easier to project the action as they are cleaner and more direct in their delivery. It allows for shorter and more action oriented captions. For instance, ‘I have provided this link for more details’ sounds way more direct than ‘ this link has been provided by me to give you more details’. The passive version is not only longer but also distracts the viewer from the central idea. The whole point is to portray the usability of the content then why waste more time and words on conveying this idea when you can do away with a shorter version and that too much more direct and effective.
- The power of two lines – short and sweet captions are more effective. Don’t clutter your captions with too many words. Tell the story using visuals and use the caption to hit your viewer with the most important message. This will help you make the caption more impactful and hard hitting. Anything longer than this is most of the times not heeded. You might lose out on some of your followers by always sticking to longer and boring captions.
- Going long by being skimmable – people don’t usually read word from word, so if you need to provide a longer caption, you could use capital letters, spaces etc. to highlight the important words. Make your text, even, attractive and appealing to make your audience figure out the main idea behind a post, easily.
- Be simple – use shorter and powerful words – this makes your caption easier to understand and definitely better than bigger and longer words. Stick with easy and unique English language that your audiences can get. For instance use best versus superior, use get in pace of acquire.
- Use positive language – rewrite your sentences to reflect positivity. For instance, change ‘don’t waste your time’ to ‘ Save time’. This reflects your optimism and also makes your captions short and easily understandable. Negative words are highly demoralising and often prove to be a turn off for a number of viewers. Use a pleasant way of addressing the audience and maintain a calm and positive tone throughout your captions.
- Put the important details in the copy – provide details like phone number, email address etc. In the video or visuals that you may be using. People usually see the visual first, so it allows you to provide the information without cluttering the space meant for caption. Having all of these details in the captions is a no brainer, everybody does that. But it disconnects the viewer from the main idea behind the post.
- Create a compelling social voice – it is important to understand your social voice. What the brand stands for? How are you as a person? This involves figuring out and then presenting your
- Character and persona,
- Language, and
You need to address the issues that compel you to take action and where you want your followers to follow suit. These tactics give your audience an insight into your personality or character and forms a majority of your audience base to appreciate your thoughts on an emotional level. Not necessarily every social cause is to be addressed but the ones particularly related to your ideology or your company’s working are to be taken into consideration.
These are some of the essential ingredients to a perfect formula to create engaging social media captions. These tips and trick s are, for sure, going to give you a wider follower base and a whole lot of love and attention from them. Striking that chord with your viewers is a tricky business these days with a slew of content available on the internet. So, go and explore yourself and evolve with your audience and become the leader amongst today’s media fanatics. Also, speak from the heart. Same old content gets monotonous and doesn’t call for attention from any new person. Moreover you may tend to lose the regular ones as well. So your caption should also capture this attribute. Speaking your heart out helps your audience to know you as a person and better appreciate your content. It is highly recommended to be connected with your audience in today’s times. It pays to be out there as you are definitely going to garner more love and attention when you are there for your audience. Provide them catchy titles or captions to excite them. Keep surprising your audience with fresh, adventurous and unexpected taglines in order to keep their morale high, in terms of liking your posts and following your content.
The Jigsaw is a video production company headquartered in Mumbai and operating across the globe. Headed by media professionals, associated with leading broadcasters in the country. The Jigsaw is into video production, animation.