The Cadmium Plating Process - An Overview!
Posted: Sep 04, 2018
Cadmium is a byproduct of Zinc. Until the 1920s, the use cadmium as a metal for electroplating was not very popular. Cadmium Plating is beneficial for a variety of reasons. It is a technical process which helps protect the material underneath it even in highly corrosive environments. By itself, cadmium is a soft white metal, but when it is mixed with other metals such as powdered copper, cast iron, steel and malleable iron; it becomes a sturdy metal coating.
Advantages of Using Cadmium Plating:
There are several advantages of employing cadmium plating to protect your machines and tools. A few of them are:
- A cadmium plate provides an excellent adhesive surface; whenever cadmium plating is used, the adhesive properties of the material that it is protecting are improved. It can bond more efficiently with the typical adhesives used in the manufacturing process. It is frequently used in the construction of airplanes.
- It is highly resistant to corrosion. Hence, any object that is covered with cadmium plating is becoming more durable and does not corrode even in harsh environments. Even during harsh and challenging weather, cadmium plating is well - equipped to protect the object which it is coating. This is why such type of plating is utilized in the fields of aeronautics and military defense.
- Cadmium plating also improves the lubricant properties of the material. Hence, it is highly suitable for those parts of the machine which move. Its high lubricant surface means that it can also effectively reduce friction in those places where the moving parts touch each other.
- Cadmium is also resistant to the growth of bacteria or mound. So, you can be assured that even in the presence of moisture and an environment which is conducive to the growth of fungus or bacteria, you object will be well - protected.
- Cadmium plating improves the electrical conductivity of the object which it is coating. Its ability to conduct electricity is high and thus, it offers zero resistance to electrical conduction.
- Cadmium can also work well as a paint base. Hence, cadmium based paint is able to secure the object which is used to paint from corrosion as well as fungal growth.
To summaries cadmium plating:
- Excellent corrosion resistance
- Low electrical resistance and exceptional conductivity
- Resistant to bacteria growth
- Favorable galvanic compatibility with aluminum
- Superior solderability
- Works well as a paint base
- Acts as a good bonding surface for adhesives
In order to take good care of your tools and machines, it is essential that you prevent them from wasting away due to corrosion as a result of time or harsh weather conditions. Cadmium plating is an effective way to combat this problem, and it helps you make your tools more durable as well as sturdy.
Sun-Glo.com is one of the leading metal finishing companies offering services including type I, II & III anodizing, CARC painting, passivation, Swiss machining, cadmium plating, copper plating, gold plating, silver plating, tin plating, zinc electroplating, etc. To know more, visit https://www.sun-glo.com/blog/.
Gold is also highly durable when it is placed on a specific metal. Since it is a malleable material, it is easy to create a thin layer over other metals like nickel. It creates a highly durable surface and makes the metal long lasting and easy to use