Directory Image
This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Dental Plaque and Tartar – Causes & Prevention

Author: Frank Meshkani
by Frank Meshkani
Posted: Oct 20, 2018

Plaque is a colourless, sticky film of bacteria that forms on your teeth. Bacteria in your mouth feed on the sugars in the foods you eat. When you do not regularly clean your teeth, you are leaving cavity-causing plaque on your teeth.

When saliva, fluids, and food combine, they produce bacteria deposits which are found where the gum and teeth meet. Dental plaque contains bacteria which produce acids that attack the enamel of a tooth and can damage the gums. If it is not removed, they can cause tooth decay, gum disease, and tartar build up.

How dental plaque leads to tartar buildup?

If the plaque is not removed on a regular basis, over time the minerals from your saliva are deposited into the plaque biofilm causing it to harden, turning into tartar. While you can remove plaque at home by brushing and flossing, removing tartar requires the help of a professional dentist in Penrith.

Tartar is also called dental calculus. It is a yellow coloured deposit that forms when plaque hardens in your teeth. You have a greater risk of developing tartar with dry mouth, braces, crowded teeth, aging, and smoking.

If you wish to avoid cavities and other dental issues, it is essential to do what you can do to prevent plaque buildup on your teeth.

The Penrith dentist has a few tips to help you get rid of and avoid dental plaque, and they are:

Brush regularly:

Brushing your teeth twice in a day not only helps prevent dental plaque but also avoid other dental problems. Failure to do so will result in a buildup of plaque and tartar. Tartar is a hardened form of plaque, and it can be difficult to remove at home. Professional dental cleaning will be required to remove tartar.

Floss daily:

Dentists of a dental clinic in Penrith say that it is essential to floss twice in a day like your brush the teeth. While brushing only removes about 65% of bacteria and plaque flossing removes the remaining 35%.

Moreover, flossing is vital to your oral health. It helps clean the hidden spaces between your teeth and along the gum lines. Dental floss can reach places in your teeth which cannot be reached with a brush.

Schedule regular dental check-ups:

Visiting dentist once every six months is important to maintain your oral health. Periodic check-ups and professional cleaning help keep you away from plaque buildup and other dental issues.

Stick to healthy foods:

Do you know a hydrated mouth is a healthy mouth? Yes, if your mouth is dry, your teeth are at the risk of decaying. Eating healthy foods like fruits and vegetables help increase saliva flow and naturally remove some of the plaque on bacteria.

The author is an experienced Dentist in Penrith. With a team of dental professionals, he offers oral treatments in the field of microscopic dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, children’s dentistry, and much more. Visit https://www.penrithdentalclinic.com.au/ for details.

About the Author

PENRITH DENTAL CLINIC - We know how little you look forward to visiting the dentist. That is why We at Penrith Dental Clinic are here to change your views by providing you with the highest quality

Rate this Article
Leave a Comment
Author Thumbnail
I Agree:
Comment 
Pictures
Author: Frank Meshkani

Frank Meshkani

Member since: Sep 06, 2016
Published articles: 16

Related Articles