How to get rid of a cough this season?
Posted: Dec 07, 2018
A constant cough can be very annoying usually at night. It can also cause you dizziness and sometime you may also lose the bladder control. But it also plays a vital role in protecting your body from many diseases.
What is a cough?
A cough can be defined as a reflex of our body which helps to clear the airways of irritants. It keeps our throat clear from phlegm and other kinds of irritants like mucus and smoke.
Common causes of a cough:
- Irritants: Smoking, pollution, chemical fumes, air fresheners, perfumes etc.
- Allergens: Dust, mold, pollen, animal dander etc.
- Medical conditions: Cold, fl upper respiratory tract infection, whooping cough, asthma, pneumonia, sinus infection, chronic bronchitis, lung cancer, heart failure, COPD.
- Medicines: Beta blockers, ACE inhibitors
Types of a cough:
- A dry cough: A person can suffer from a dry cough due to allergies, cold and flu viruses, acid reflux, medications, cigarette, and other irritants.
- Wet cough: This can cause due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cold or flu viruses.
- A chronic cough: This type of a cough can last for more than 3 weeks. A chronic cough caused by asthma, bronchitis, heart disease, whooping cough, heart diseases.
- Chesty cough: Chesty cough caused due to excessive mucus in the airways. You may have difficulty for expectorating the mucus to clear the passages.
Prevention from a cough:
- Avoid smoking
- The work environment should be far from any kind of irritants
- Rooms should have good ventilation
- Manage your allergies with the help of nasal spray
- Avoid your allergy triggers
- Avoid people with respiratory illness
- Good diet
- Regular exercise
- Avoid cold food in winters
Remedies and medications for a cough:
- Honey tea: Honey tea is the best home remedy for a cough. According to the researches, honey provides fast relief from coughing. A mixture of warm water and honey provides you relief from a cough and is also good for your health.
- Ginger: Ginger provides you relief from an asthmatic or a dry cough. It also helps to give relief from nausea and pain. Ginger tea can relax the membranes in the airways and helps to reduce coughing.
- Fluids: Fluids like herbal teas can alleviate your runny nose, cough, and sneezing. Some good fluids for curing cough are clear broths, decaffeinated black tea, warm fruit juices, warm water etc. These drinks can provide you relief from chills, sore throats, and fatigue.
- Steam: A good hot shower can help you for treating cough. You can take a bowl full of boil water. Put your face at least 1 foot away from the bowl. Put a towel in your head and make a tent-like structure. Take the hot steam for about 5-10 minutes.
- Humidifier: You can also use a humidifier. It helps to loosen the mucus and provide you relief from a cough.
- OTC: There are two types of OTC medicines for a cough.
- Cough suppressants: These are used to block cough reflex. Most common OTC suppressants are dextromethorphan which can easily found in Triaminic cold, delsym, and vicks 44 cough and cold.
- Expectorants: These helps to thinning the mucus. There is only one OTC expectorant named Guaifenesia found in Robitussin chest congestion and Mucinex.
- Prescription drugs: If you are not getting relief from OTC and other home remedies then try to reach out for a good doctor. You can contact
- You can take antibiotics like cephalosporins or azithromycin for a whooping cough, sinusitis or bacterial pneumonia.
- If you are having a cough due to allergies then inhaled nasal steroids may be prescribed.
There can be many other good medications and remedies for a cough. A good food and healthy routine is the best way to keep fit. If you have any good suggestions for curing cough, please share with us in our comment section.
Hello everyone! Albert has 5 years of experience in writing contents related to health and fitness and much more for the people who seeks for any information.