Endodontists; the Root Canal Specialists
Posted: Feb 25, 2019
A human tooth is divided into different parts; the crown which is visible on the surface of the gum and the part which is not visible. The hidden part is made up of soft tissues referred to as pulp and endodontist in Springfield are the specialists of problems related to a pulp. A root canal is the most common treatment done on tooth pulp which is often required to treat the infection caused by untreated tooth decay.
Difference between the dentist and the endodontist
- Every endodontist is a dentist but not every dentist is an endodontist. This is because after completing the course of the dentist, endodontist goes through special and additional training in root canal treatment.
- Dentists are skilled in a variety of tooth related troubles while endodontist in Springfield often performs only root canal treatment because of the complexity of the treatment. Therefore, once the RCT is done, patients are referred back to dentists for fillings and crown placing.
- The equipment and the technology used by endodontists is also advanced than those of dentists to treat the sensitive and soft pulp.
Understanding what root canal is and what are various complexities of its treatment, also helps in better understanding the role of endodontist in Springfield.
What is root canal?
- In root canal treatment, damage or decayed tooth is repaired and saved instead of removing the whole tooth.
- The damaged part of the tooth is cleaned and disinfected first and then is filled to seal the area for further damage or decay.
- Untreated cavity, repeated tooth treatments, and crack in the crown are some of the common causes of tooth infections that need root canal treatment.
What is the procedure of root canal treatment?
The duration of the whole procedure of root canal treatment depends upon the condition of individual patients, but the common steps that are involved in root canal are as follows:
- The tooth is examined with the help of the radiographic X-ray.
- Local anesthesia is then used on the tooth because of which the patient does not feel the pain during the whole procedure.
- Another step is to separate the effective tooth from the rest of the tooth and saliva by using the ‘dental dam’.
- After isolating the tooth, an opening is created in the crown so that the pulp can be cleaned.
- After cleaning the affected area is disinfected and refilled with the biocompatible material called gutta-percha. This completely seals the area and saves the tooth from further decay or infection in the future.
- Once the filling and sealing are complete, some endodontists place the crown themselves while others refer back the patients to the dentists.
Benefits of root canal treatment
- Since the root canal saves the natural teeth, it maintains the natural smile even after the treatment.
- With the use of advanced technology and modern equipment, the treatment is painless.
- The after-treatment care is similar to caring natural teeth with regular cleaning and brushing, and the treatment lasts a lifetime.
- Patient need not to limit any type of food and may eat everything.
Dulac Dental of Springfield offers dental care services such as dental implants, Invisalign, endodontics, veneers, cosmetic restorations, dentures, CEREC crowns, and 3d X-Ray / CBCT, etc. in Springfield, Virginia. To know more, visit https://www.dulacdds.com/services-item/general-dentistry/.
I'm a freelance copywriter and I write on a variety of topics.