All You Should Know About Whey Protein Supplements
Posted: Apr 26, 2019
What is Whey Protein?
Whey is a dairy-based protein obtained from the liquid byproduct of the cheese manufacturing process. In its powdered form, whey protein is one of the best protein supplements widely used by people in sports.
Whey protein contains almost all essential amino acids and is rich in certain vitamins and minerals. It contains high quantities of branched-chain amino acids, which play a critical role in muscle repair and rebuilding. As whey protein powder is easily digested, it gets quickly absorbed in the body.
Different Types of Whey Proteins Available
Whey proteins are available in the following different forms:
- Concentrate whey protein Protein content is anywhere between 30%-80%. Contains low fat, but higher carbohydrates and lactose levels than other forms. In this form, all the essential nutrients remain intact as found in natural whey. It is also the most economical of all whey proteins.
- Isolate whey protein It contains more than 90% protein and has the least amount of fat and lactose as compared to other forms. It is best for individuals who are lactose intolerant. However, some of the useful components may be lost during additional processing.
- Hydrolysate whey protein This form contains partially hydrolyzed whey protein. This speeds up the digestion process and is absorbed faster in the body.
- Native whey protein This form is directly extracted from low-fat milk and contains the highest protein content.
Benefits of Whey Protein Some of the benefits of whey proteins are enlisted below:
- Whey protein is one of the best protein powder for building muscle as it contains amino acids important for muscle growth.
- Leucine, a branched-chain amino acid, is abundantly found in whey protein. It is known to promote muscle growth and improve body strength.
- Consuming whey protein immediately after workouts helps in muscle recovery.
- Among the options available in the market, whey protein is one of the best protein supplement for muscle gain. The right blend of whey proteins with carbohydrates such as maltodextrins and dextrose helps in gaining lean muscle mass.
- Whey protein powder is a rich source of cysteine, another essential amino acid, which boosts our immune system.
- Whey protein assists in weight loss as it reduces the craving for food by developing a feeling of fullness.
- Research has shown that whey protein also decreases low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and blood pressure.
Usage of Whey Protein
About 30 grams of whey protein is the average recommended dose, but individuals must refer to the dosage instructions mentioned on their package as recommended quantity may vary with different brands.
Whey protein is commonly consumed as shakes made in water or in milk.
Whey protein products are usually flavored as it itself is tasteless. One must carefully read the ingredient list while selecting the best whey protein supplement, as some products may contain added sugar.
To conclude, if you’re looking for building muscle or gaining muscle mass then whey protein is one of the best protein supplements for you.
If you’re looking for building muscle or gaining muscle mass then whey protein is one of the best protein supplements for you. If you want to know more about Benefits & Usage of Whey Protein visit Avvatar India.
This article is written by Namit Malgaonkar.