Understanding Spine Surgery From Spine Surgeon In Gurgaon
Posted: May 26, 2019
The spine or vertebral column in the human body comprises of two components. The bony vertebrae, which forms almost a tunnel like structure, and the spinal cord that runs through it. Therefore it is this bony structure or vertebral column that surrounds the spinal cord, which almost like a protective cover, helping to prevent the spinal cord from getting damaged during trauma which does not cause breaking of this cover. There are 33 vertebrae in total, divided into segments known as the cervical spine, thoracic spine, lumbar spine, sacral spine and coccyx. Within the vertebral column, in-between these vertebrae, there is an intervertebral disc, which is a gel like substance that helps to act as a shock absorber and prevents the bodies of the vertebrae from rubbing against each other and causing pain.
The vertebral column in the human body therefore functions for three purposes, protection of the spinal cord, weight bearing and flexibility. And any damage to the bones of the spine or shifting of the intervertebral disc to either side within this column, will lead to an abnormality of the structure of the vertebral column, resulting most often in pain, because this abnormality is either compressing the nerves which are exiting the spine or compressing the spinal cord itself.What problems can arise in the spine?
There a variety of problems which can arise in the spine, which may require you to see a specialist doctor, who only works with problems regarding the vertebral column and the spinal cord. This type of doctor is called a spine surgeon. Since the vertebral column, the spinal cord and the nerves that arise from the spinal cord, play a major role in determining how our body functions, it is important that you visit the best spine surgeon in Gurgaon, for medical advice, if you fear or suspect that you may be suffering from a problem which affects your spine.Problems which arise in the spinal cord and vertebral column include:
- Infections of the bones of the vertebral column, or the layers which cover the spinal cord called the meninges.
- Fracture of the vertebrae which make up the vertebral column, either as a result of trauma or because of infections in the bone or bone tumors causing the bone to become weak and break off spontaneously.
- A slipped disc, which means that the gel like substance in between each vertebra has moved from its position right in the center to either side and is causing a narrowing within the vertebral canal which can lead to compression of the spinal cord and the nerves which are exiting the vertebral column at this point.
- Tumors of the spinal cord, although very rare can also be a problem for which you may require spine surgery.
- Those individuals who are suffering from spine deformities such as kyphosis and scoliosis, which are abnormalities regarding the curvature of the vertebral column, where there is increased curvature of the spine or an ‘S’ shaped curvature of the spine.
If you are suffering from any of the above mentioned problems, then it may mean that you need to get in touch with a spine surgeon in Gurgaon so that you can have it looked into in detail.Symptoms of spinal cord problems:
People who are suffering problems in their spine can complain of a variety of symptoms. These include:
- Back pain, which can arise as a result of infections in the vertebrae, or compression of the spinal cord and the spinal nerves.
- They can experience sharp, radiating pain which travels along the back of the leg, a condition which is known as sciatica, and is a common problem which is diagnosed.
- Patients complain of numbness or tingling sensation which are present in their upper limbs as well as in the lower limbs which again can be the result of spinal cord or spinal nerve compression.
- Some people can even develop sudden onset paralysis in certain parts of their body, especially the upper and lower limbs which are more susceptible.
- It is also important to understand that the spinal nerves also play a role in innervating some of our internal organs such as our bowels and bladder. Therefore if there is any damage to these nerves people may experience loss of bowel and bladder control.
If you are suffering from any of these symptoms, it should prompt you to seek medical advice immediately, so that the correct management plan can be put in place and prevent the condition from progressing any further.
Dr. Vikas Kathuria is a dynamic Neurosurgeon specializing in brain and spine related surgical and Non-surgical Procedures.