Start Your Occupational Therapy Assistant Career Today
Posted: Oct 30, 2019
Beginning a new career can be a challenging and rewarding experience. Assisting in the process of providing a higher quality of life for those living with injuries, disabilities, and illnesses gives one the opportunity to be part of the journey in which they truly can have a sense of independence they would otherwise not enjoy. An occupational therapy assistant online program through a college accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) is an affordable, convenient way to earn the associate degree needed to begin a satisfying caregiving career in one of the fastest-growing fields in the healthcare industry.
What Does an Occupational Therapy Assistant Do?
An Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) provides support for the occupational therapist (OT) to help patients perform daily activities and tasks they can no longer do on their own. Servicing the wide-ranging needs of occupational therapy clients can take therapists to a variety of locations and settings, including but not limited to:
- Rehabilitation centers
- Nursing home and assisted living communities
- Residential homes
The OT is responsible for evaluating the severity and limitations of patients’ conditions and designing effective treatment plans to fit their unique needs and personal preferences. However, occupational therapy assistants are an integral part of the process and have the knowledge and flexibility to make helpful adjustments to treatments for the improved care of their patients.
An Ota will face different circumstances each day that will require creative, innovative solutions using the experience and knowledge that comes with earning an associate degree through an occupational therapy assistant online program.
Some typical duties and responsibilities an occupational therapy assistant will be expected to perform include:
- Helping patients improve life functions through therapeutic and self-care activities
- Monitoring patients and their activities
- Supporting occupational therapists in the creation of innovative, comprehensive treatment plans catering to specific patient needs
- Properly documenting progress reports and patient records
- Managing inventory of needed supplies
- Discussing treatment options, plans, and process with patients and their loved ones, under the supervision of an occupational therapist
Ota require a specific combination of attributes and skills to carry out the required duties of the job, including:
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Physical strength to lift patients
- Patient privacy and confidentiality discretion
Benefits of OTA Online Program:Many traditional brick-and-mortar colleges and universities have associate degree programs for occupational therapy assistant degrees. However, taking advantage of an occupational therapy assistant online program allows for the flexibility of studying and progressing at your own pace-in preparation for the board exam- and will teach everything needed to jump-start a new and rewarding career.
George Anderson is a freelance writer, blogger, and entrepreneur. I love reading, outdoor activities, traveling and staying current with new trends