- Views: 1
- Report Article
- Health & Fitness
Signs and Symptoms of Respiratory Syncytial Virus
Posted: Feb 24, 2020
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) is a common virus that causes cold symptoms. People usually recover in a week or two, but the elderly and infants are at higher risks.
RSV rarely causes any serious damage but can cause lung infection. RSV is the most common cause of both bronchitis and pneumonia in infants. RSV is a very common virus and affects almost all infants.
Ziffytech is a platform where you can book the best pediatrician in Surat for your child.
People usually show symptoms of the respiratory syncytial virus 4 to 6 days after being exposed. Symptoms of RSV include:-
- Congested and runny nose
- Dry cough
- Sore throat
Your symptoms appear in phases. Infants with RSV may be irritable, sluggish, and have breathing difficulties. RSV can cause severe infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia.
Book a pediatrician near me if your child is at risk of severe infection shows any of the following symptoms: – has difficulty breathing, a high fever, the skin is turning blue (the lips or the nail beds) and has a poor appetite.
You can take an appointment with the best gynecologist in Surat if required.
RSV is a viral infection that spreads when an infected person coughs or sneezes. RSV is an airborne virus and we get infected through nose, eyes, and mouth. An infected person is contagious in the first few days though the virus may spread for a few weeks.
The risk of contracting RSV infection is heightened in the following cases:-
- Crowded places where you may encounter an infected person.
- Adults with asthma, heart problems, and lung diseases.
- People with a low immune system.
- Premature babies or with infants under 6 months.
- Exposure to other children in daycare or school.
The best pediatrician in Surat will ask you about your child’s symptoms and medical history. During the physical examination, the pediatrician near me will listen to your lungs using a stethoscope to check for wheezing or any other irregular sounds.
Laboratory or imaging tests are usually not needed. In case there are any complications the following tests may be ordered by the best pediatrician in Surat:-
- Blood tests at home to check CBC (complete blood count) to test white cell count or to test for bacteria, viruses or any other infection.
- Chest x-ray to look for a lung infection.
- A swab of secretions from inside the mouth or nose to check for signs of the virus
- Pulse oximetry to detect oxygen levels in the blood.
Mild RSV needs no specific treatment. The best pediatricians in Surat prescribe over-the-counter medication to help with the symptoms. Clearing the mucus from your babies’ nose may help with the congestion. Staying hydrated and resting helps children recover faster.
RSV can lead to bronchitis or pneumonia the best pediatrician in Surat may recommend hospitalization. Intravenous fluid, oxygen, and humidified air may be required during hospitalization. In severe cases, the doctor near me may recommend a ventilator. In a rare case, the pediatrician may recommend inhaled medication.
There are no vaccines available for RSV. But some simple precaution can prevent the spread of the infection
- Wash your hands frequently
- Limit your infant or child’s exposure to sick people. Don’t send your sick child or infant to school or daycare.
- Keep countertops in your kitchen and bathroom clean. Dispose of used tissue immediately.
- Avoid sharing cups and drinking glasses.
- Wash your child’s toys regularly.
Our mission is to synergize all stakeholder of healthcare industry, i.e. Hospitals, Doctors and Diagnostic centre etc. by unleashing the state of the art technology and help assist the industry to function seamlessly so as the visit www.ziffytech.com