Check out your eligibility for CAPM and PMP
Posted: Mar 14, 2020
CAPM (Certified Associate in Project Management) and PMP (Project Management Professional) are two of the most highly sought after certification courses for professionals working as project managers. Whether it’s the CAPM exam prep or the PMP certification both have their advantages when it comes to long term relativity of certifications and has a significant effect on your career progression. These certifications are your gateway to better opportunities and better pay-cheques.
These certifications get your experience and knowledge acknowledged on a global scale and opens up the possibilities of working all over the world. Getting these certifications can prove to be an adrenaline shot for your career as a project manager making you stand out of the crowd and get noticed on a global level.
Can You Apply For PMP
Applying for PMP is not an issue provided you meet some basic eligibility requirements for the course. PMP assesses your ability to handle work pressure, knowledge, team management, and experience when it comes to project management, successful completion of which provides you with the PMP certification.
Check below to see whether you are eligible to get your PMP certificate.
- You should either have a high school diploma or a bachelor’s degree
- For diploma holders, you should have at least 5 years of experience and 7500 hours of experience as a project manager
- For bachelor’s degree holders, you should have at least 3 years of experience and 4500 hours of experience as a project manager
- You should have completed the 35-hour study program of PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge)
Once you have fulfilled all these eligibility criteria, you are ready to get your PMP certification.
Can You Apply for CAPM
CAPM or Certified Associate in Project Management is an entry-level certification for project managers with not as much experience as well as established project managers. Getting CAPM certification can provide an edge to your resume and help you land projects which can further boost your career. Check below to see whether you are eligible for the CAPM certification.
- You should have a high school diploma (Secondary Education)
- You should have 1500 hours of work experience as a project manager
- There are no minimum years restrictions as is the case with PMP
- You should have completed the 23-hour study program as part of your CAPM exam prep
What to Choose, CAPM or PMP?
Whether you should go for CAPM or PMP certification depends on your career length and your qualifications. It is strictly dependent on which stage of your career you are in and thus serves two distinct classes of project managers.
For the new project managers, CAPM makes more sense whereas, for experienced project managers, PMP makes more sense as it is a better representation of their knowledge and experience.
CAPM allows getting ahead of the competition in the early stages of your career. At the beginning of your career, standing out from the crowd matters and it is there that CAPM is most relevant.
PMP, on the other hand is for experienced professionals who are looking for new and more global challenges and projects to further take their careers to a new height.
Richard Pierce An expert in Pmi and Iiba Certifications.