How Easy Is To Get Single Status Certificate for NRI in India?
Posted: Nov 13, 2020
Before migrating to any foreign country, many individuals would have hardly thought about proving for being a bachelor. But, it’s a requirement for solemnizing marriage and may be, to work or study abroad. Certainly, the European, American and certain Asian countries stringently regulate immigration laws to safeguard their natives. So, it’s just a precautionary measure for them to know whether or not you are married before the wedding with a girl or a boy from the foreign.
Single Status Certificate
Also called CENOMAR or unmarried certificate or certificate of no impediment, the single status certificate is a legally approved statement stating that you are single. It does not matter if you are a divorcee or widower.
However, India does not have a particular competent authority, as the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) is in the Philippines to facilitate this document. Yet, you can get it in a few steps. Yes! Getting a proof of being an unmarried in India is the matter of just three steps, which are:
a) To get an affidavit from notary public
b) To make it attested with the SDM/ Magistrate
c) To get it apostilled from the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA)
Although the aforementioned steps are easy to carry out, yet you may walk in and walk out of the SDM or Magistrate office many a times. In short, it would be a time consuming procedure.
How can one get it from Magistrate or SDM’s office?
You just keep the aforementioned steps into account. Then, these summarized steps would guide you all through the procedure that would actually work out:
1. Visit the office of the notary public & request for a self-attested affidavit. It is actually a bond paper worth INR 100 that you can have from notary.
The content of the affidavit should include these inputs:
- Name of the applicant
- Date of Birth
- Passport number
- Parents’ names
- Permanent address
- A statement stating that the affiant is single and free to solemnize marriage in India or abroad
Likewise, get the affidavit of your parents, mentioning all aforementioned points. Remember that the sworn statement of your parents should go in such a way that you are their son/daughter.
In summary, you would require two affidavits-one, on your behalf and two, on your parent’s behalf.
2. Then, go to the SDM office in your district with the affidavits and supporting proofs. Here, your job may be wrapped up in one or two days. It means that you may have to make rounds until you win an opportunity to meet him. On meeting, he would cross check the information stated in the affidavits. So, keep these documents handy:
- Birth certificate
- Aadhaar card/ driving licence/voter id/ bank passbook
- Decree Absolute (if you are a divorcee)
- Death certificate (if your spouse is no more)
3. Subsequently, contact the agency that looks into the certificate attestation or apostille services in India. The MEA has already appointed a few outsourcing companies that can directly communicate with the government authority to address such requests for NRIs certificate attestation in India.
Role of Tehsildar
If you hail from a small Taluka of a village, you can contact the Tehsildar. Request him to put on the paper that he knows you. While drafting the statement, make sure that he has mentioned your date of birth and your single status. Remember that his statement is an acknowledgment that you are born there and still single. The certificate of single status from Tehsildar will be complete upon getting attested from the MEA and SDM, if there is any.
You have to interact with the SDM for moving ahead with its procedure. He would draft an affidavit on the basis of that statement. However, this procedure in the village may differ.
As far as the fee is concerned, it may vary in different states. However, the apostille service will charge somewhere around INR 75. But, certain unauthorized agencies throw a bait to fish you. They may ask you to pay in between INR 4 and INR 25k. So, make sure that you won’t be captivated in their trap.
The Indian embassy can also provide this certificate, if you request it online. You can browse the procedure and documents to verify your request for the same.
Manoj Sodhani is an Nri consultant whose concern areas are immigration-based documentation, such as passport, visa and transcripts.