The A to Z of Reiki for beginners – The complete guide
Posted: Jun 14, 2020
Reiki is a form of energy healing and is considered as an alternative medicine to treat various diseases. Reiki comes from the word ‘rei’ that means spiritual and ‘ki’ that means essential energy.
The origin of Reiki is traced back to the early 20th century to a Japanese Monk named MikaoUsui. His teaching and healing therapies are based on the philosophies of various healing practices in Asia.
Reiki is considered to be safe and a natural method to heal someone spiritually. It has been considered as an effective and alternate form of medicine in treating diseases like blood pressure, anxiety, depression while reducing the symptoms of pain and discomfort in various other diseases. It is wise to treat Reiki as a complementary therapy to be continued with other medical therapies.How does reiki energy healing work?
Reiki works on the principle of spiritual healing through channelizing positive energy. The healing can only be performed by a Reiki master or by a Reiki practitioner who has been ‘attuned ‘by a Reiki master. It is to be believed that Reiki attunement boosts the healing energy.
The Reiki practitioner places their hands on areas of the body that require healing through the chakras using the ancient healing symbols as laid down by MikaoUsui. It is a very calming and peaceful experience that allows you to let go of the stress and anxiety. It promotes the psycho-spiritual well-being of a person.
You must remember that is an additional form of therapy and shouldn’t be considered as a replacement for medicinal therapy. If you opt for Reiki healing along with an existing medical condition, always inform your doctor and your Reiki practitioner about it.The Benefits Of Reiki 1. Reduces pain-
Reiki practitioners claim that it is effective to treat pain and reduce symptoms of anxiety.
A study in 2015 studied the effects of Reiki on moms who have undergone a cesarean. It stated that it had significant results in reducing pain, palpitation, and anxiety for the first 3 days after the delivery. It had no negative effects on the blood pressure or the heart rate and reduced the frequency of pain killers as well.
Another study of 2015 stated that Reiki lowered the side effects of chemotherapy in cancer patients compared to the ones receiving only medical care. The participants in the study were given 30 minutes of distance Reiki healing for 5 days.
An interesting study was conducted in 2018 that compared the effects of physiotherapy and Reiki to treat lower back pain in patients with herniated disks. It stated that both treatments were effective, but the later was more expensive and slower compared to Reiki.2. Reduces symptoms of depression-
Reiki has been used as an alternative form of treatment to treat depression in many.
A study was conducted in 2011 on a very small group of people where the researchers studied the impact of Reiki healing in older people suffering from pain, depression, and anxiety. These participants stated that this healing improved their symptoms and promoted a feeling of relaxation and improved mood.3. Improves quality of life-
Reiki improves the overall health of the body. A study conducted in 2016 showed the positive effects of reiki on cancer patients.
People who receive Reiki therapy have reported better sleep quality, self-confidence, and improvement in symptoms of depression and anxiety.4. Enhances mood-
Participants of a study in 2011 stated that people who received Reiki therapy had improved mood when compared to non-participants. The participants received therapy of 30 minutes for 2-8 weeks.
It is a natural way to improve your mental health and well-being.5. Improves the physical well being-
Reiki therapy improves the condition and symptoms of
Reiki helps in relaxation of the aforementioned conditions. However, more research needs to be conducted in this matter.What happens during a reiki session?
- Reiki is a non – invasive method of treatment that has no side effects.
- The Reiki healing treatment takes about 20- 90 minutes.
- The first step involves meeting your Reiki practitioner who you can make aware of your expectations or intentions. Tell your practitioner in detail about the condition of your body and the places you need Reiki in.
- The next step involves you lying down on a specified area. You will be asked to close your eyes and relax. The maximum part of the treatment doesn’t involve any conversation or direct touch. You could request for soft, relaxing music to play in the background.
- The practitioner moves hand around the body without touching you. In this process, you may experience some tingling sensations on your body. Some people have also reported of visuals or seeing a particular color with closed eyes while undergoing treatment.
- Always wear minimum accessories while going in for the treatment as you have to take off belts, metal accessories, shoes, glasses during the session. The phone must be switched off. Wear cotton clothing and loose-fitting comfortable clothes.
- Drink enough water after the completion of therapy. Many people feel fatigued and drained out after the appointment.
You can join a Reiki class to learn Reiki. You will be introduced to how Reiki works and be taught about the symbols that promote Reiki Healing. The most important process of completing the training is ‘attunement’ with the Reiki master. This process boosts your ability to transfer healing energy that lasts life-long.
- The attunement of the First Degree gives you the ability to treat others and yourself by touch.
- The attunement of the Second Degree allows you to heal people by the use of symbols for distant healing.
- The attunement of the Master level known as the Third Degree gives you the ability to attune others in Reiki.
- There are three levels of Reiki and only after the completion of the third level you can be called a Reiki master.
Reiki has shown the potential to bring about positive changes to your body and routine. Before you choose Reiki as a treatment plan, always consult with your doctor. Remember Reiki is an additional therapy and not a replacement for your conventional treatment.
I am S. Mallick, the founder of "Wordapter Content marketing services inc". I am an experienced & professional writer. Contact me for any content marketing requirements. Do visit us at - www.wordapter.com