8 Tips to improve WordPress performance
Posted: Jun 15, 2020
Have you ever thought about the performance of your WordPress website? Do you know how does your website perform in front of your visitors? Do your visitors stay on your website for a long time or they leave the site within just two or three seconds? If you want your WordPress website to stay ahead of the competition and also want more visitors, you need to consider all these questions. In this digital era, every business owner wants that his website gets the highest rank on Google and other search engine. You may be thinking about your website performance when the question of the poor website performance comes up.
Just take your precious time and look out at your website at least once. You might find several threats that are responsible for the poor performance of your site. May be these issues are theme related, old plugin related or others. If you use outdated code or plugin to create your WordPress website, it may slow down its performance. It leaves a very bad impression on your visitors.
Many small website owners face this type of problem. Generally, they are not aware of WordPress themes and plugins. That's why a poor performance issue occurs in their website. The small website owners just create their website and forget about the latest updating. Creating a good looking website is not enough, you need to be aware of the latest updates of your WordPress website. As an owner of WordPress website, you have to keep an eye of all the latest upcoming updates. Keep your site up to date to offer the best experience to your visitors.
There are so many options or ways to enhance the performance of your website. In this article you will read about all these tips. After adopting these tips, you can easily improve the poor performance of your site and convert it into a high speed website. Just focus on them and fix your slow website problem.
Let's take a look on these solid tips and adopt all these tips. Don't think twice before adopting these tips because you do not have any other option to improve the performance of your site and you know, your whole business depends on the best performance of the website. It is the website that can lead your business up and also can ruin very fast.
1. Choose the solid hosting provider for your site: Hosting is the key of every successful website. Choosing the best hosting company can improve the performance of your website as well as SEO and sales.
Hosting service is a kind of Internet hosting service. It allows users to create their websites through the World Wide Web. The performance of your website depends on your host. If you choose a wrong hosting provider, it can ruin your whole website.
Hiring a hosting provider is not as easy as you as it is. If you don't have any idea regarding it, obviously it seems a daunting task. Before selecting the hosting provider, you need to consider that how do you pick the best hosting company for your website. Always choose the right hosting company that have many years of experience and also have a good strategy to better website performance.
There are few top hosting companies including Liquid Web, Siteground, Inmotion Hosting, Bluehost, WP Engine and Pagely. You can choose any one of them as your hosting company. If you are not happy with your present hosting company, you can move to another company.
2. Install the right WordPress theme: WordPress has near about thousands of themes. Some of them are free and some of them are paid. Most of the website owners use free themes. For the best performance of your website, it is the most important that you choose the right and a solid WordPress theme for your site.
The theme affects your website. It represents the website in front of your visitors. It shows, how your WordPress is looks and feels.
Apart from the looks of your site, it also affects the functionality of the website. Meaning if you select a boring or simple theme for site, the site may not be liked by the visitors. This one is the negative point of the website.
To give the greatest look to your website and make the best impression on your visitors, you can select various different themes from WordPress.org/themes/. This is the website that offers you a huge number of WordPress themes. You can choose any one of them according your website needs.
3. Select the right plugin for your site: Most of the developers look for the best and the biggest plugin for their website. There are many things you should keep in mind while choosing a plugin for your website. There are lots of WordPress plugins available in the WordPress Plugin Directory.
It may be difficult for you to choose any one of them. In such situation, you can get the help of expert and professional developer.
You will get free and premium WordPress plugins. You can search for your favorite plugin from the WordPress dashboard. Click on the plugin or add new. After that you see the search box, you can type two or three words in the box to find your favorite plugin.
For example, if you are looking for the WordPress backup plugin, you can write backup in the search box. The list of plugins appears in front of you.
4. Remove unwanted plugins: As you know, WordPress has thousands of plugins. But it does not mean that you use all of them. There may be some medieval plugins. If you have outdated plugins in your website, you need to eliminate them. You select a plugin for your site, but it does not work accordingly, it means you have chosen medieval plugin. You might forget to remove it from the WordPress site.
Be careful, when you select a plugin for your site and eliminate all the unwanted plugins from the website. These unwanted plugins are the main reason for slow websites. Slow website means low rank and lower rank means lose in business. So, if you do not want to see lose in your business, delete all unused or unnecessary plugins as soon as possible.
To upgrade the plugins, check the latest version of plugins every three to six months. This is the easiest way to remove unused plugins and upgrade other plugins. To deactivate or uninstall, just go to plugin screen and select the plugin which you want to uninstall or deactivate. At last, just click on deactivate option. Remember one thing always, never delete the default WordPress plugins. You can delete only that plugins which are downloaded by you.
5. Delete unused themes: Just like plugins, you have many unused themes and you need to remove them from WordPress. It is very easy to remove unnecessary themes from the WordPress website. Every year, you see various new themes. If you update your WordPress, you will get all the new themes automatically. But remember one thing, if you upload new themes, delete old themes to improve the speed of your website. These old themes could be harmful for the health of your WP website.
There are so many reasons that show you why unwanted themes are not good for your site. Unwanted themes make your site vulnerable. If the developer update it time to time and eliminate unnecessary themes, it increases the loading speed of your website. Every time you use a different theme when you create a website. Means you have a huge amount of themes.
Once you remove or uninstall unwanted themes, you can upload new themes which you want for your site. For this, you need to keep an eye on the latest updates. Due to this, you will never face difficulty in future by old or unwanted themes.
6. Keep your WordPress site up to date: This one thing is very important to stay in touch with your visitors. Meaning if you have three or four year old website and from that time you never updated it, visitors might prefer to visit another website instead of your website. In this modern technology era, every day various PHP and HTML codes changed or launched. If you have five or six year old PHP or HTML code based website, indirectly you push your business in big losses. So, that is why updating your WordPress website is important.
There are various benefits to keep your website up to the minutes. Just like your home appliances, your site also needs maintenance. Throughout the year, there are various new versions of WordPress themes and plugins released. Your site may be hacked by hackers, if you have an old version of WordPress theme or plugin. To protect your website from bugs, virus and hackers, it is important that you keep it up to date. Updating the website, means you enhance the performance of your website. In the other words, you improve the security of your site.
7. Look at your site's images: There is no doubt that images and videos are essential to attract the visitors. But a large size of image can ruin the performance of your WordPress website. You have a big paragraph content with large size image, it is the clearest sign of slow loading. A website with large size images, large videos with huge amount of content take a lot of time in downloading. If this happens with your site, your visitors leave your website within a second and move on to another similar website.
If you think the speed of a website is not an important factor and it does not matter that your website is slow or fast, you are wrong. If you have lots of images on your site, you need to optimize them. You can delete some of them, if they are not necessary. Why are you uploading so many images on the website instead of content? Do you know oversized images or lots of images take a long time to load? So, improve the speed of your website, optimized them as soon as possible. One more important thing, do not upload oversized images. If it is possible, upload small size images.
You can crop the image in the correct size before uploading. The correct size of the image is 300px. If you have an image with 2600px, do not upload it without cropping. You can choose another one.
8. Optimize MySQL database: SQL stands for Structured Query Language. It is known for its quick processing and flexibility of use. MySQL is the important part of PHP application. To remove the overhead database, use your phpMyadmin account to login. After that you can optimize your database by using the available functions or you can clean up database by clicking on SQL option. It may take your lots of time because in this whole process you need to check each database first.
Often MySQL used by developer to create web pages based on rarely changing data and similar queries. Speed of the strong point of MySQL database server.
Hope, these given tips help you to enhance the speed of your WP website. If you are worried about the slow speed of your website and you have only one question that how to increase the downloading time of the website, now you don't need to worry at all.
Here are some basic tips that can help you. You can follow these tips and you will definitely see the change in your site's performance. Every business owner has only one wish that he has a website with the highest rank and maximum visitors. If you think you are not able to improve the performance of the site, you can hire our expert WordPress developers.
Impact Interactive is a premier Web Design and website Development agency in Hamilton, ON. We Specialize in Custom WordPress Website Design, eCommerce Store Development, Digital Marketing, and SEO services. Contact us for a no-obligation quote.