Top 8 Useful Tips for Studying Abroad
Posted: Jul 11, 2020
If you decide to enter the University yourself:
1. Rating sites, university directories with special functions that help you sort universities by location, cost of education, number of foreign students, and a number of other parameters will help you in choosing a university.
Try to select for yourself no more than 10 educational institutions, and then go to the website of each university and find the following information: Pay attention to the list and qualifications of the faculty. This is especially important for undergraduates.
The chance to enter will increase if your future research topic coincides with the scientific interests of the teacher. Do not forget to note this in your motivation letter. It will not be superfluous to get acquainted with the list of taught subjects and their presentation.
It greatly depends on the department and teachers whether you spend more time on theory or devote yourself to practical exercises, the same applies to the ratio of lectures and seminars. Choose a set of courses that suits you personally.
Check out the list of studies that are currently being conducted at the department or faculty you are interested in. This is an important issue because they provide grants for high-quality research projects that can later be used to "cover" an assisting student.
- In order to be sure that you can become a student of a chosen university, you should pay attention to the level of competition for the faculty you are interested in - to understand whether you are ready to fight with a thousand applicants for a place or whether it is better to immediately look for an institution that is less popular.
- Be sure to correlate your capabilities with the university requirements for applicants: the minimum average mark, the minimum mark for language skills, and other tests.
- Of course, the cost of studying in many foreign universities is rather big, so you need to find out how much it will cost you to study at the chosen educational institution.
- You should find out if the university provides a hostel. If this is not possible, be sure to find out how much it will cost you to rent an apartment near the university.
- For many applicants, an important point is the possibility of providing scholarships or grants for foreign students. If you are interested in financial support, it is better to give preference to a university that provides such an opportunity.
- An important role for most young people is played by the sports and social life of the university. You can learn about it not only on the official website of the university but also on various student forums.
- Not all universities teach in the same language. In universities of countries such as Germany, Canada, Switzerland, Finland, or China, training can take place in 2 languages. Most likely, when submitting documents, they will not require knowledge of Chinese from you, but the best part is that they will offer you to study the language for free a year before admission.
About the Author:
I am a passionate content writer. I write for fun.