How to fix ‘Firefox won't open’ issue on Mac?
Posted: Apr 08, 2021
A slow browsing experience may be annoying but what is worse is that your browser won’t open at all. If you face the issue of Firefox won't open no error message
- there can be several reasons for this. Here, given below are some of the troubleshooting tips to resolve the issue of Firefox not opening on Mac. Before you proceed to follow the given troubleshooting tips, you must ensure that the network isn’t dropping. Try to open websites in other browsers. If the websites are working well in the other web browsers, try the following troubleshooting tips for Mozilla Firefox.
How to troubleshoot Firefox won’t open on Mac?
1. Restoring Firefox to default
- Find Refresh Firefox button at the top of Firefox about: Support Troubleshooting Information page.
- Click ‘Refresh Firefox’ in the confirmation window.
- Firefox will close itself to refresh.
- When refresh is complete, the window will list your imported information.
- Click ‘Finish’.
- Firefox will reopen itself.
Restoring Firefox to default state may fix the issue, simultaneously saving all the essential information.
2. End the process in Task Manager
- Go to the Task Manager (Ctrl+ Shift+ Esc) and then perform a Clean Reinstall.
- Remove all your Firefox program files and reinstall Firefox.
- This will not remove any of your Firefox profile data as it is stored in another location.
- Use another browser to download Firefox.
- You can now double-click the file you downloaded to install Firefox.
3. Check for any malware in your Mac
- Check your system for any malware.
- Ad pop-ups, unrecognized toolbars, or a new default home page indicates that you might have picked up some malware.
- If that doesn’t work, disable your security program temporarily and check if the issue persists.
4. Updated Software
- Sudden Mozilla Firefox crash may happen because of outdated software running on your computer.
- Make sure that your programs are updated regularly to avoid any crashes.
- To update Firefox, click the menu button.
- Select Help> About Firefox.
- Check if the browser is updated.
Make sure that your printer and graphic drivers are also updated. If you are using any internet security software, ensure that you are using the latest versions.
5. Fix the proxy server issues
- Open Firefox> Menu> Options.
- Click Advanced> Network.
- Select ‘Settings’ and then ‘No Proxy’.
- Click OK and restart Firefox.
6. Check if the crash happens in Safe Mode
- If still your Firefox won't open on Mac, check is the crash happens in Safe Mode.
- Click the menu button in Firefox.
- Select Help> Restart with Add-ons Disabled.
- Firefox will now start with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.
- When Firefox Safe Mode window appears, click ‘Start in Safe Mode’.
- Check if the issue is resolved.
7. Disable DNS prefetching
- Usually DNS prefetching is used by Firefox to speed up loading new websites.
- This can sometimes lead to certain system configurations.
- In the address bar, type ‘about:config’ and click ‘Return’.
- A ‘this might void your warranty’ warning page may appear.
- Click ‘I accept the risk’ to continue.
- How the ‘Ctrl’ key while you click the list of preferences.
- Select New> Boolean.
- In ‘Enter the preference name’ field, enter ‘netwrok.dns.disablePrefetch’.
- Click OK> True> OK.
I am Alice Cook a IT Consultant. I am writing article on Computer Software issue resolve.