Consulting a Houston car accident attorney: Ask the right questions
Posted: Sep 15, 2021
Car crashes often have overwhelming and complicated outcomes. If you were injured in a car accident in Houston, you are expected to take action immediately, provided you are physically capable of doing so. Inform the police, and if someone needs medical attention, call 911 right away. Once you feel okay, you must consider calling a Houston car accident attorney. Texas is a fault state. Depending on the circumstances, you could file an injury lawsuit against the other driver at fault. Below are some questions to ask an attorney.
- How frequently do you deal with car accident cases? Personal injury law covers everything from dog bites, auto accidents to medical malpractice and product defects. It would be best if you had an attorney who works on car accident cases regularly. Ask the attorney about the percentage of their practice dedicated to such claims and lawsuits.
- What is my claim worth? Just because you were injured in a crash doesn’t mean you can win a huge settlement. Let an attorney evaluate the circumstances and offer insight into your claim’s worth. They can offer a better idea of what you can expect in a settlement.
- "I may have been at fault. What now?". Texas follows the modified comparative fault rule. If you were at fault, your settlement would be reduced by fault measured in percentage. You might recover some of your damages, provided you are not 50% or more at fault. A skilled attorney will investigate the case and gather evidence to bolster your claim.
- Will you work on my case? Don’t be surprised to know that another attorney from the same law firm is handling your case. Many lawyers work for the same law firm, and the case can be assigned to someone else instead of the lawyer you meet. As long as you have access to your attorney, you don’t have much to worry about.
- Can your share your fee structure? Usually, car accident lawyers in Houston work on a contingency fee. The lawyer only gets paid if they have won a settlement for the client. The fee can vary, depending on the lawyer’s experience and facts of the case. You can expect to understand more about financials in the first meeting.
Personal injury attorneys in Houston typically work on a contingency fee. The lawyer only gets paid if they win a financial settlement. There are no immediate costs of hiring an attorney, and this could be a big advantage for victims. Many attorneys even advance other expenses for the client, depending on the potential of the case. If you are worried about legal representation, consider talking to an attorney about your financial situation. Lawyers usually charge 20-40% of the final settlement as their fee.
Finally, ask the attorney if they have courtroom experience. Most car accident cases are settled outside of court, but there are exceptions. Ensure that your lawyer is capable of handling all possible circumstances.
With extensive research and study, Simon passionately creates blogs on divergent topics. His writings are unique and utterly grasping owing to his dedication in researching for distinctive topics.