What should you do if you receive a Legal Notice?
Posted: Oct 14, 2021
A legal notice is written communication that lays out how and what information must be included in a statement. A legal notice is a written document that acts as formal correspondence between the parties engaged in a particular situation. The receiver of a legal notice is notified that the sender intends to pursue legal action against them. Legal notice can also be used to advise the recipient of the sender's complaints.
A legal notice is written communication that lays out how and what information must be included in a statement.
Adv. Viraj Ravindra Patil LLM, the leading lawyer in Navi Mumbai and a partner at Parthasaarthi, would like to give his thoughts on how to reply to a legal notice in this article.
ParthaSaarathi is a Consultancy and Dispute Resolution firm with a leading team of professional Lawyers, Dispute Resolution Professionals, and Multi-Disciplinary Consultants with specific industry experience in Property, Family, Cooperative, Consumer, and Money Recovery, as well as decades of experience in serving clients and institutions across Maharashtra.
Lawyers, Company Secretaries, Chartered Accountants, Psychologists, and Counsellors make up the firm's committed team, which has the industry skills, resources, and commitment to meet all customer needs.
Lawyers' responsibilities today include representing their clients in court and ensuring that litigation is kept to a minimum. Our primary goal is to provide solutions to our client's problems and considerably increase capacity, resulting in improved client and organization performance and output. Before recommending the most appropriate solution, our staff examines several factors of the client's case.
As a result, with each consultation or case, we gain fresh insights into the person's or organization's culture and what it takes to reduce existing and future difficulties and progress toward a more positive vision. We experience a sense of loyalty to a person or organization that extends beyond the duration of a session or case. We guide outside of a project without incurring an additional price.
It is critical to follow the proper structure while preparing a legal notification. A legal notice is a written document that acts as formal correspondence between the parties engaged in a particular situation. The receiver of a legal notice is notified that the sender intends to pursue legal action against them. Legal notice can also be used to advise the recipient of the sender's complaints.
Benefits of a Legal Notice:
- Warning: A legal notice serves as a cautionary notice to the defendants. It ensures that he is aware of the obligations he must meet or face the repercussions of non-compliance.
- Dispute resolution: Legal notice gives both parties a reasonable opportunity to settle their differences through talks, mediation, or arbitration rather than going to court.
- Amicable settlement: Because the legal process takes time and money, it's preferable to settle the situation quickly with a legal notice. It's a much easier and faster procedure.
Keep in mind that a notice is merely a means of communication in civil matters. Only the government has the authority to seek criminal charges against a wrongdoer.
What should you do if you receive a Legal Notice?
You have a certain amount of time to react to the legal notice. If you do not respond within a certain amount of time, the person who gave the notice may help you.
After receiving the notice, bear the following points in mind:
- Attentively reading the legal notice: It is critical to read the legal notice carefully to appreciate the opposing party's difficulty and issues completely. According to Adv Viraj Patil, Navi Mumbai's best lawyer, if the recipient of the legal notice believes that the concerns may be resolved amicably by a conversation, it should begin right away.
- Consulting a Lawyer: If the legal notice's contents are unclear, you should get legal advice from an experienced attorney. Aside from that, you should keep track of when the legal notification was delivered to you. Even if the case gets to court, it will be valuable.
- Briefing the lawyer: This is a crucial step to take. It would help if you informed your lawyer about the entire situation. You should offer the lawyer all necessary information regarding the proof, time, location, occurrences, and so on. This information will help your lawyer create a sensible answer that reflects your point of view.
The reply notice is sent by registered mail or courier once your lawyer draughts it on your behalf. A copy of the reply note will be sent to your lawyer for future reference.
What happens if you ignore a Legal Notice?
Suppose you do not answer within a specified period after receiving the legal notice. In that case, the aggrieved party may file a lawsuit in the appropriate court of law, warns Adv Viraj Patil, one of Navi Mumbai's leading lawyers.
Following the lawsuit filing, the court will issue you an order to appear in court as the case's respondent. You must respond to the charges leveled against you by the other party.
Typical mistakes are committed when replying to a legal notice.
- The most typical error is failing to react to a legal notice within a reasonable amount of time. In this case, the petitioner (sender) will make every effort to receive your response to the notice as quickly as possible and within the time range provided in the notice. Otherwise, the sender may resort to extreme measures.
- If you have any questions about the terms of the notification, you should get legal advice.
- You must not make any errors about the part in which you received the notice. You must be aware of the provision of your legal notice that is referenced.
- Not everyone remembers to add the date in their notices. The notice must include a date. That is something you should be wary about.
- If you hire an advocate, keep in mind that you'll need both your signature and your advocate's signature to respond to the notification.
- Include the sender's current address so that the message reaches the appropriate recipient on time. You may find yourself in difficulty in the future if you cause a delay.
- In your answer to the legal notices, you should mention the sender's current phone number.
Aditi Nair is a passionate health blogger. She enjoys writing about all of the health-related issues that affect various parts of the body and addressing her readers about the care that needs to be taken in today's world.