Best Ways to Completely Immerse in a Language
Posted: Feb 20, 2015
One would say that the first step in engaging into learning a new language is determination. If to this you combine discipline and perseverance, we believe you have the perfect formula to allow you to succeed in your endeavor. If you are planning on taking a German course, it is important that you know that the language might seem difficult at the beginning, but once you get into it you will find it that it practically flows by itself.
Once you have found the formula to keep it up, it is important that you find the best ways to completely immerse into any German course. This means that you basically should not only speak German, but also think German, feel it, even breathe it. Some practical tips you might want to follow to completely be taken by your new language could be:
- Find television in the language you are learning. The web is a great place to find yourself series or shows that are completely spoken in the language you are learning. If you could get subtitles or captions, it would work great. The satellite dish is also a great option.
- Listen to foreign music. This will definitely give you some immersion, even if you find it pretty difficult to understand any word of what is being said.
- Set your computer settings to your second language. This will help you become familiar with not only the computer lingo, but with the language in general. Remember that it is about immersing yourself in the language to get used to it.
- Read as many books as you can. While you are taking a German course, it is a great idea to find yourself books that will help you develop the grammar and pronunciation of such language. Put down your books in your native language for a while and give a try to those of your second language. You might find yourself lagging at the beginning but with some practice you will be reading fluently.
- Make friends that speak the language. Or ask those that already speak the language you are learning to speak to you in such language only. Not only is this a bit challenging, but it is also encouraging. It provides you with a hands-on experience and provides conversational skills, which are very important in the real life.
- Take advantage of social media. One important aspect of learning a new language is the social factor. Remember that the main purpose of learning a new language is to develop the ability to hold a seamless conversation with the language natives. Look for natives to your new language on social sites such as Twitter, Instagram, etc., and follow them. It is a nice way to have an immersion in everyday normal life situations.
It is no secret that the best way to actually learn a language is full immersion. Probably the best way to achieve this is traveling to a native country. However, not all of us can get into a plane and stay at a foreign country for months to merely learn its language. But the options above are still a great way to do so from your own country.
German Online Institute offers Skype classes, online tutoring, German for travel courses and support to pass language certificates for all levels: A1-C2.