5 Questions to Ask Before Building a New Home
Posted: Jun 19, 2015
Choosing a new home builder can be a difficult decision: there are numerous choices, a lot of what each offers may appear very similar, and the extent of the process may be difficult to fully appreciate. Allworth Homes specialises in building new homes and house and land packages in Sydney, but the following advice is applicable anywhere you intend to build a new home.
Here are 5 questions to ask when selecting a new home builder:
- How long have you been building new homes in the area? The best home builders offer both a proven record of successful experience in the industry and experience in the area where they will be building a new home. General experience building new homes ensures a thorough knowledge of the basics and provides you the opportunity to review their previous work. Experience in a specific area provides familiarity with local challenges and regulatory requirements. Allworth Homes has a long history of leading experience as a new builder in Sydney; if you are building elsewhere, the company you choose should have the same level of experience for your area.
- Do you have expertise with land AND home packages? If your new home building project begins with selecting the perfect land, you need a builder that is experienced in both aspects of the process. Allworth Homes offers our clients practical expertise not just in home building but in house and land packages for Newcastle, Illawarra, Wollongong, and land and house packages for all Sydney. Comprehensive experience guarantees the best possible service and results throughout the process, with improved ability to stay within budget and schedule constraints.
- Can you tell me the total price of my new house before I sign the contract? A complete, precise and accurate accounting of all costs of building your new home is crucial to ensuring you are not faced with surprises along the way, or the need to make sacrifices near the end to ensure you stay within your budget. An accurate tally should be comprehensive, covering the entire process from grading and site preparation, to choice of appliances and finishing touches.
- Can you provide an accurate schedule for my new home project? For many clients, schedule is just as important as price. A home builder should be able to create a accurate estimate based on lot preparation required, size of the house, and design, among other considerations. Don't allow for vague "guesstimates" with unrealistically large margins for error.
- Can I visit the work site? Numerous unscheduled visits to your new home build represent a safety concern and an impediment to staying on schedule, but you should always be allowed to periodically stop by the construction site and watch your new home take shape. Always call in advance to arrange scheduling.
Of course this is just a brief sample of questions you will need to ask your new home builder, but they get to the heart of establishing trust and confidence. Having a new home built is a large and complex project, take the time to question potential home builders thoroughly before making your decision which to choose.
At Allworth Homes we build quality new homesproject homes for our customers in the Illawarra and Newcastle areas. Go to http://www.allworthhomes.com.au to see our awesome home plans and find out what we can build for you.
I love sharing my work and writing about topics that can help every reader