Directory Image
This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

How to find the best tax specialist in Canada?

Author: Josep Guardiola
by Josep Guardiola
Posted: Nov 29, 2013

Hiring a tax accountant can benefit all types of taxpayers. Before you start your search, you might be wondering about all kinds of tax pros out there or who can do your taxes. There are two types of tax professionals that are most appropriate for most people-enrolled agents and certified public accountants. In case you get audited, both types can represent you before the IRS. You should find an experienced tax specialist who specializes in the areas in which you need help. Here are some simple steps you can take to find the right professional for your situation, to protect yourself before you spend your hard-earned cash.

  • Referrals are best.Ask everyone you can think of: friends, business owners, family, financial advisors and attorneys. It will be best if you ask someone who has a similar tax situation to yours.
  • Beware of an accountant who says that you can deduct everything or promises you big refunds. You are ultimately responsible for the information on your tax return, not the tax consultant
  • Do not be afraid to change accountants or shop around if you are not comfortable.
  • Retail tax franchises offer competent tax service for individuals who need to file relatively straight-forward tax returns. You can sometimes find CPAs and Enrolled Agents working in these offices and some tax preparers will be more experienced than others. Prices are often determined by how many tax forms need to be filled outfit is good if you can meet with a CPA, senior tax preparer or an enrolled agent. You'll pay the same, but can get to speak with a seasoned professional.
  • Local, independent tax firms often specialize in the tax needs of small businesses and individuals in their neighborhood.Some independent tax accountants will be more experienced than others. It will be good to ask if the firm has the expertise to handle your taxes.
  • Enrolled Agents (EAs) are tax professionals who have passed background check and a rigorous test administered by the IRS. Enrolled agents often specialize and are best for complex tax situations.
  • Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) are accountants who have passed the rigorous CPA Exam and are licensed by the state they work in. CPAs generally expertise in a specific area, such as business consulting or audits tax.Not all CPAs handle tax issues but CPAs are best at complex accounting work.
  • Tax attorneys are lawyers who have chosen to specialize in tax law. Tax attorneys will often have a master of laws degree in taxation (LL.M.) in addition to the required juris doctor (J.D.) degree. Attorneys are best at complex legal matters, such as taking your case before the Canada Tax Court or preparing estate tax returns.

About Author:-

Josep Guardiola is a chartered accountant who practices as an independent tax specialist. He also author of offshore tax planning, in this article he provides tax accountant tips. For more information you can visit

About the Author

In these times of economical downpour and recession, many people find themselves immigrating to other countries in search of greener pastures.

Rate this Article
Leave a Comment
Author Thumbnail
I Agree:
Author: Josep Guardiola

Josep Guardiola

Member since: Mar 11, 2013
Published articles: 35

Related Articles