The Things Every Aspiring Videographer Should Know
Posted: Feb 02, 2016
One of the biggest reasons why people like to hire videographers for their wedding is so that they will have a professionally shot product which will bring a smile back to their faces. Filled with all of the extra flourishes that only the professional videographer can bring, such as editing and the postproduction touches like background music, a wedding video which is shot by the professionals looks really unique and memorable.
However, while these extra touches are always nice to have, that doesn’t mean that your videographer should just rely on these skills alone to make your video as beautiful and attractive as possible. There are a number of different techniques which your videographer should be aware of and which they should try to keep in mind whenever they try to shoot a wedding video, such as:-
- Make sure that you are using the right gear for the job. Every now and then cameras keep on getting upgraded and you will find that there are always new cameras on the market which promise to shoot even higher quality video every other month. However, that doesn’t mean that you should just buy the newest cameras; even if you have a moderately priced camera it will get the job done well. What you will need is to make sure is that you are carrying a tripod, an external microphone and extra batteries!
- Preplanning everything is very important! Shooting for a wedding is vastly different than any other form of videography as you are not going to have control over certain elements. You won’t get the time to go for a second take at a wedding, and it is only when the videographer is experienced enough that they will be able to go with the flow of the wedding and truly capture it well. Having an itinerary of events will ease things for the videographer and make the job that much easier. This way you can shoot the important moments such as the exchange of vows and the first kiss without having to scramble. Also, be sure to talk with the bride and groom to find out who the VIPs are so that you can focus on them.
- Probably one of the biggest mistakes that the new videographers do is that they don’t shoot enough. They believe that brevity is the key to taking a video, but this is where postproduction techniques such as editing come into play. It is important to shoot as much of the event as possible so that you will have more material to choose from to stitch together into a narrative. It is also important to get a lot of b-roll footage which focuses on the environment, etc. This will make for a more complete video.
- You never know when something might go wrong. Your equipment might start malfunctioning at the most inopportune moment such as the microphone, which might stop picking up the audio. This is why you should try and reach the venue at least two hours before the start of the wedding and test out the equipment and make sure that it’s all working fine. Always travel with backup equipment just in case!
5. You should try and be as familiar as possible with the wedding venue itself. Any essential part of wedding videography in Los Angeles is to know just where to get the perfect shot from and awareness of the location can help you to know exactly where you can get the perfect angles for the perfect shots right away!
These five tips will really reflect on the final wedding video you will be holding in your hands once the wedding is over!
The author is highly experienced in providing well researched quality information and tips about photography, videography, event videography and also wedding videography.