Five reasons to take a project management training course
Posted: Dec 16, 2016
From PRINCE2 to PMP to the APM Project Fundamentals course, there are many different project management qualifications you can gain today. And, it is not just aspiring project managers that should be taking such courses. If you are a project manager, you should never stop learning and honing your skills. Moreover, if you are involved in any type of leadership or management role at your business, taking such a course can be extremely beneficial. With that being said, below we are going to take a look at the top five reasons why you should considering project management training.
- Learn new skills – There is only one place to begin, and this is with the fact that you will learn new skills. These are skills that are extremely valuable and will help you to achieve success with each and every project you manage. Such skills include the likes of earned value management, the procurement process, detailed knowledge regarding scheduling, costing, pert charts, monitoring projects, planning, implementing projects, and active risk management.
- Develop existing skills – Not only will you learn new skills when taking a project management course, but also you will develop your existing skills, which will make you a better project manager. No one is the complete package. There is always room for improvement, especially when it comes to the likes of dealing with change, for example. Other areas whereby you will grow and get better include managing quality, managing conflict, developing critical success factors, leadership, planning, communicating with project teams, communicating with stakeholders, stakeholder engagement, stakeholder management, and people management.
- Boost your profile – There is no denying that any type of project management certification is going to look good on your CV. If you are currently an aspiring project manager, you can make yourself stand out from other applicants when you go for a job interview. If you already work as a project manager, you will make your position a lot more credible, and you may even find yourself on a better salary in the near future if you continue to take the initiative and grow yourself as a project manager.
- Become more efficient – You will become a lot more efficient across all aspects of project management if you take one of the available training courses. For example, you will find that you are a lot more efficient when delivering services. This is because you will benefit from a ‘roadmap’ that can easily be followed and adapted, helping you to avoid potholes and bumps along the way.
- Get your team on-side – Last but not least, you will gain more respect from your co-workers if you are actively trying to better yourself and be the bets project manager you can be. Your team will see that you take your role seriously and that you have the required qualifications. They are more likely to trust in what you have to say and your methods if they know you have received formal training. This is of critical importance. After all, your team’s performance determines the success of the project.
The author has written and published articles on a wide range of topics including Small Business Advice, Tax and Accounting, Interior Design, House Renovation and Project Management.