Directory Image
This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

How To Handle An Emergency Cardiac Arrest

Author: Assist Firstaid
by Assist Firstaid
Posted: Nov 27, 2017

Sudden death from cardiac arrest or abnormal heartbeat has become quite common around the world. Hence, we should learn how to save a patient in such a crisis.

Cardiac disorder and illness is a leading cause of death in the world. Thousands of adults die of heart disease each year, and hence it has become essential to pay attention to the factors leading to a cardiac arrest. Cardiac arrest is considered one of the significant factors behind deaths caused by a heart disease. It frequently occurs amongst adults and occasionally even amongst children. The risk of cardiac arrest increases with age, and the risk is higher amongst men than women.

Sudden cardiac arrest can be controlled if the patient is treated within the first few minutes. However, the risk may worsen if the patient is not given proper treatment. Here are four steps which can be implemented to save a patient suffering acardiac arrest:

Emergency Care:

You should keep emergency care contact numbers handy. Immediate contact with emergency care is essential for the patient’s chance of survival. Contact numbers of suppliers of medical products should be kept handy so that the patient can be provided with proper medication at the earliest. Local medical help can be summoned during such an emergency.

Special Training:

Training in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation can help the patient survive a cardiac arrest. However, the person performing CPR should be a trained first aider. If executed correctly, it can save the patient and keep him or her alive until medical help arrives.

Defibrillation:

Sudden cardiac arrest can be related to ventricular fibrillation. In such a situation, people with Defibrillator Training may help the patient survive the situation. The patient can survive acardiac arrest if he or she is delivered an electric shock. The shock treatment is necessary to bring the heart rhythm to normal. Various public locations have automated external defibrillators. These devices can be used only in times of an emergency. Defibrillation is an effective treatment which helps the patient stay alive and overcome the cardiac arrest.

Advanced Medical Treatment:

Although CPR and Defibrillation can be provided instantly to help a patient suffering a cardiac arrest, the patient requires specialised medical after-care to avoid future attacks. Along with these treatments, first aid equipment suppliers should be available to help the patients with emergency medical supplies.

If the four above mentioned steps are followed, patients with a cardiac arrest have a good chance of survival. Their survival rate can increase to 90 percent if proper treatment is initiated within the first few minutes of the cardiac arrest. If the treatment is delayed, the chances of survival decrease to 10 percent with each minute.

Most people do not have a proper idea about cardiac arrest and illness. Therefore, patients suffering a cardiac arrest often die. People residing in the neighbourhood might not have enough knowledge to help him or her at the time of crisis. Hence, people should have the basic knowledge to help patients survive a massive cardiac arrest.

About the Author

Above author loves to blog on health and first aid related issues. He already have taken a first aid training courses from Assist First Aid last year.

Rate this Article
Leave a Comment
Author Thumbnail
Please or Join to add a comment.
Author: Assist Firstaid

Assist Firstaid

Flag of Australia
Australia

Member since: Apr 04, 2017
Published articles: 2

Related Articles