Procedure for Obtaining FSSAI Registration for Food Business
For every Food Business Operators or individuals who are involved in the manufacturing, storage, transportation or distribution of food product there is a mandatory requirement, to obtain FSSAI Registration or License. In India, license or registration of food business is governed, under the provision of Food Safety and Standards Regulations 2011.
As per the provisions, of these regulations, the food business operators who are involved in the petty food business are required to obtain Fssai Registration. For this purpose, the food business operators are known as:
- Any person who himself or through any other petty retailer manufactures or sells any article of food; or any temporary stall holder, hawker, itinerant vendor or; any individual who distributes food in any social or religious gathering except a caterer;
- Any other food businesses which also includes a small scale or cottage or such other industries, which are relating to food business or tiny food businesses and whose annual turnover is up to 12 Lakhs, and capacity of production of food (other than milk, milk products, meat and meat products) also does not exceed 100 kg/ltr. Per day or; the act of obtaining, handling, and collection of milk is up to 500 Liter per day or; Slaughtering capacity is 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less.
- The process of getting FSSAI Registration and FSSAI license by FSSAI are as follows:
- For the small food business operator, FSSAI basic Registration is mandatory. They can get it by submitting application to food and safety department, in application Form A along with the following documents i.e. Passport size photograph, Identity Proof like Ration Card, Voter ID Card, PAN Card, Driving License, Passport, Aadhar Card, and Supporting Documents (if any):- NOC by Municipality/Panchayat, Health NOC
- The application may be accepted or rejected by the department, so whatever be their decision shall be intimated in writing within 7 days, from the date of submission of application. If the department, has accepted the application then the certificate of registration containing within their photograph and registration number, has been issued by the department. After that, it’s a mandatory requirement for the operator to display it at their place of business.
Whereas, FSSAI License is mandatory for those persons or entities, who doesn’t cover under the petty food business operators. But whether to obtain a State license or Central License, it depends upon the nature and size of their business. If they are large food manufacturer, processors, transporters and importers of food products, then they require FSSAI Central License and if they are medium sized then they require State FSSAI License.
Eligibility criteria for the persons or entities for obtaining State food license are that, if they are wholesaler their turnover should be up to 30 crores and if they are a retailer, distributor or wholesaler then, it should be up to 20 crores. Procurement, handling, and collection of milk, should be of 501 Liter per day but up to 50,000liter per day or; Slaughtering capacity for large animals, should be more than 2 but up to 50 or for small animals, it should be more than 10 but up to 50or poultry birds more than 50 but up to 1000 per day. In case of Meat processing units, it should be more than 500 kg meat per day moreover if there are all food processing units including, re-labelers and re-packers then it should be more than 2MT per day whereas, in case of central license it should be more than the limits as prescribed above, in each category in State license.
Procedure for Obtaining FSSAI License:
The applicant has to submit an application to license authority in Form -B along with annexures, affidavit, and self-declaration. The license is granted basically for the period between 1 to 5 years as demanded by the applicant. As higher the period higher fee will be applicable. It can be renewed by making an application but it should be 30 days prior to the expiry of the license.
Enterslice is a Financial technology company. Our team of experts helps firms resolve their complex legal, risk, and compliance related issues.