- Views: 51
- Report Article
- Internet Marketing
How to improve sale via choosing best colours for your web page
Posted: Oct 22, 2018
Choosing the right colors for your website to convey the right feeling may sound easier than it is. But are you aware of what the different colors represent and how do you best get the colors to work for your website and not against it?
In this guide, we will help you choose colors for your website.
- The importance of choosing color
- Color circle
- Warm colors
- Cool colors
- Good examples of websites
- 10 important tips
All colors represent different feelings. There is a lot of research done in color and color psychology and color psychology has come to the conclusion that there are innate genetic components for how we perceive color.
In the animal kingdom, red and orange are associated with danger and there are many insects such as spiders that use the colors for deterrence.
We also perceive red and orange in the same way, while green and blue are perceived as more relaxing and safe colors and convey a sense of calm. That's why hospital aprons are green and blue - to convey calmness.
Conclusion: The colors you choose will represent and create feelings of the visitors to your website. It is therefore of the utmost importance that the graphic design you choose represents the products / services you offer. Choosing the right colors for the website is therefore crucial!
Use the color circle to choose colors
A common starting point for graphic designers when choosing colors for the website is to assume the color circle.
What's important to bring in from the color circle is that there are two combinations of colors that fit very well: complementary colors and harmonious colors.
Complementary colors - Opposing colors in the circle
Complementary colors are complementary colors and contrast to each other in the color circle. Such as green and red.
Harmonic colors - Shades of the same color
Harmonic colors are colors that are adjacent to each other and are shades of the same color. Examples of harmonic colors are light blue and dark blue.
The colors one by one
Now, the idea is that we will go through each color one by one to see what feelings and associations they create and represent.Colors that are hot
Colors that we classically classify as warm are associated with happiness, energy, power and passion. They are often used to draw attention and are often why people in the grocery store see red signs with yellow text when any price is reduced or there is a deal. McDonalds has also chosen to use red color as this color creates attention and stands out.RED
Red is a classic color to capture the visitor's attention. The color correctly represents romance, passion, as well as fire, heat and aggressiveness. In other words, it is a color with many conflicting meanings.
Therefore, be sure to use red correctly. Often you use red to show some warning on the website, maybe a special offer that is about to expire or some kind of warning.Orange
Orange is a color that reminiscent of red, but at the same time it is not as intense and hard. The orange color is often linked to success, optimism, self-confidence and joy. For websites, orange may be one of the most used accent colors commonly used for buttons and titles, as well as some elements to capture the visitor's attention.Yellow
Yellow is the color of the joy which, with its clear color, gives the thoughts and feelings of warmth and light. Some also connect yellow with gold and therefore yellow can also symbolize value. Yellow, however, is a rather difficult color to use when it becomes difficult and often disturbs the eye. It is not often that yellow is used as color for a website.Cool colors
Now that we have gone through the warm colors, we'll also spend some time on the cool colors that are actually more used for websites than the warm colors.
The cold colors make us feel calm, safe but at the same time a little loneliness and solitude. It is not the same energy in these colors but they are often perceived as more "dormant" colors. The cold colors are most often the colors used for logos and elements on websites.purple
Purple is an interesting color that often symbolizes creativity, loyalty, and exclusivity. It is a color that is often associated with royalty, so please use it to create a luxurious touch.Blue
Almost half of all men have blue as their favorite color. Maybe a little too because most logos in the world often go in a blue tone. The blue color and its various shades make us feel calm and confident and that is why the color is often used by companies in the banking sector and in healthcare.
Blue is also a color associated with peace, security and openness. In color psychology, blue is a good color to wear on a work interview just because it is associated with being open, calm and loyal.
Companies that use blue in their logo are, for example, Facebook, Handelsbanken, Bonaqua and others.Green
Green is a classic natural color and precedes us directly to thoughts about forest, nature and freedom and a little paradoxical also for money. The color green is a color that in our culture is often associated with "green light" and "approved" which makes the color green to a very good accent color for elements on the website where the customer can contact the company, log in or learn more. Further feelings that green can create are calm and hopefulness.
If you want to know more about how to use colors, and specific accent colors, to capture the visitor's attention and perform specific behaviors on your website, please read our comprehensive Call-to-Action guide.Shades of gray
A color type that can be used with great success is gray tones. These colors are between absolute white and absolutely black and therefore have no specific limit. Grayscale provides an exclusive and minimalist design that can be used to direct attention to the page's content, features, elements and images.
Expensive brand clothes often use gray tones on their websites and in their graphic design to capture a sense of exclusivity. Examples of this are Calvin Klein and Armani.Black
Now we come to a color that is often used incorrectly on websites. Black is a very heavy and strong color that often symbolizes power, elegance and history. In addition, it symbolizes mystery, night and evil.
It is a color that is often used as the background for white text and directly creates a sense of exclusivity. If you think about all the brands that have an exclusive product line, they are almost always packaged in black. Imagine the exclusive car: and many think of a black limo.
Black is, however, a color that many people have trouble using on the website. Since it is a heavy color, it may be difficult to have it as a background color on the website. The website gets pretty heavy and not inviting just as a white website is.
Therefore, be careful if you intend to create a black website. It is also a harder color to have colors stand out and it is often demanding to read the text on a black website.Gray
Gray is a relatively calm and balanced color that is often used to break elements on one side. In addition, gray often also symbolizes respect, authority, stability and strength. Many brand clothes such as Calvin Klein and Armani often use gray on their websites and products. However, gray is a rather dull color. Perhaps the color of a gray autumn day reminds you?White
The white color has a strong symbolic significance. It often stands for cleanliness (hospital), virginity (wedding), truth and peace. For websites, almost always white is used as the color for the background of the website. It makes other colors "pops" and the text becomes easier to read.shades
Ideally, you should try to conform to 3-4 colors that harmonize and / or are complementary colors. Please use the color circle or tools such as Adobe Balls to find good color combinations. If these colors feel limiting, you always have the opportunity to use shades.
Shades are different variations of a color within the same color "family" so in green you have dark green and light green. Adding shades of colors increases the possibilities with more combinations. However, keep in mind that not overuse colors and shades without keeping it consistent and focused.Opacity
Opacity in a color is about how transparent the color is. It is usually specified from 0 to 1 where 0 is completely transparent and 1 is pure color. Often, color with opacity on an image is used to make any text in the image easier to read.
A classic example of good design and color choice is Apple's website. When customers contact us at Sitea, they usually ask us to create a design similar to Apple's website. Often they say they like the website because it is professional, clean, minimalist and with beautiful colors.
If we start from Apple.com, we can come to the following conclusions:
- They have chosen to keep the website clean and with few colors. It's the products that will "pop" and therefore the website's design is relatively contrastless and with a lot of white-space. This means that once color or an image is introduced, it will stand out.
- Apple's products breathe simplicity and clean design it makes the website also which enhances the message.
- The website also "breathes", which means that Apple chose not to print too much on the pages without focusing on a few colors, images and text at a time.
- The pictures account for much of the design.
- The choice of gray tones, beige and white gives a sense of purity and beautifulness.
Now it's time for you to choose colors for your website. As a basis, you should think about what feelings and associations you want to give visitors to the website. This is where the graphic design and, above all, colors come into the picture.
- Depend on the feelings and how you want your brand and website to be perceived.
- Make a competition analysis and see internationally what successful companies have chosen for colors. Larger companies have entire departments sitting with the graphical profile and discuss strategies to find a color language that represents what the company wants to stand for.
- The more colors you choose, the harder it will be.
- Less is more. It's easy to start with too many colors, thus losing a uniform design and making the website messy. So choose 2-3 strong colors that serve as accent colors and if you have a greater need for colors, you can choose shades of these colors.
- The colors you choose should preferably be complementary or harmonious.
- Keep in mind that the colors you selected will harmonize with black and white on the website, as often the text is dark or black and the background is white.
- Choose combinations of colors that reflect the feelings
- Select images that harmonize with the colors you choose, which represent and give the website a consistent design and strong message.
- Use all of the designer's "Holy Grail" bullets.adobe.com. It's a great great free tool where you can test yourself with color combinations. Then you've found a color you like so you can easily add that color through either RGB code or "Hex code" and then automatically find color combinations that fit.
- Choose stronger / aggressive colors eg orange or red to draw attention to your CTA elements such as "Buy Now", "Contact" "Book Today" and more. (Learn more about Call to Action).
We are the Best Seo Melbourne then you have come to the right place.