Directory Image
This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

What is the cost to study in Australia?

Author: Galvin Chong
by Galvin Chong
Posted: Nov 08, 2018
international studen

You havebeen thinking of studying in Australia. Before you can reach a decision, you will need to know the approximate cost to study in Australia. This article will provide you with an indicative cost so that you can prepare to embark on your academic journey.

Australia is well known for being one of the world’s most culturally diverse and welcoming countries who offers a world class education.To ensure that international students studying in Australia receive a high quality education, Australia has put in place systems and processes. Vocational Education and Training (VET) institutions are governed by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) and providers for higher education are governed by Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TESQA). These Government organisations are responsible for the registration and re-registration of institutions and the accreditation and re-accreditation of courses.

In Australia, only education institutions who are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) can enrol and deliver education services to students on a student visa. Australia also provides protection for international students through the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 which sets out the legal framework governing delivery of education to international students in Australia on a student visa. Australian education institutions also have to adhere to the National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (National Code), which sets nationally consistent standards for the delivery of courses to overseas standards.

Therefore, you can be assured that you will receive a high quality education and an enjoyable and rewarding studying experience when you study in Australia.


The costs of studying in Australia depend on the institution and the level of study you choose. The list below gives you an indication of the costs for different qualifications.

  • English / ELICOS – Around $300 per week depending on course length
  • Vocational Education and Training (VET) (Certificates I to IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma) – $4,000 to $22,000
  • Undergraduate Bachelor Degree – $15,000 to $33,000
  • Postgraduate Masters Degree – $20,000 to $37,000
  • Doctoral Degree – $14,000 to $37,000

According to the Australian Trade and Investment Commission (Austrade) Study in Australia website, the approximate cost of living in Australia are listed below.

  • Hostels and Guesthouses – $90 to $150 per week
  • Homestay – $235 to $325 per week
  • Shared Rental – $85 to $215 per week
  • Rental – $165 to $440 per week
  • On campus – $90 to $280 per week
  • Groceries and eating out – $80 to $280 per week
  • Gas, electricity – $35 to $140 per week
  • Phone and Internet – $20 to $55 per week
  • Public transport – $15 to $55 per week
  • Car (running costs) – $150 to $260 per week
  • Entertainment – $80 to $150 per week

One of the advantages of studying in Australia is that you and your dependant family members have permission to work in Australia. You can start working once you have commenced your course in Australia.

When you are on a student visa, you are permitted to work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled semester break.If you have commenced your Masters by Research or Doctoral Degree, there is no limit on the number of hours you may work.

Your dependent family members can also work up to 40 hours per fortnight at all times. However, if you have commenced a course in a Masters or Doctoral Degree, there is no limit on the number of hours a dependent family member may work.For more information, please visit the Department of Home Affairs.

The minimum wage in Australia is $18.93 per hour. Therefore, you are able to earn about $757.20 if you work 40 hours per fortnight. This will help to pay for your everyday expenses. Working while studying also allows you to acquire new skills, experiences, improve your English and integrate into the community.


Different Australian states have different skilled migration programs to attract talent who possesses a skill that the state needs. If you have graduated from a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)registered tertiary institution in that particular state and studied for a duration of 2 years, you may be able to apply for the Skilled Nominated (Permanent) visa (subclass 190). This is a point-tested visa which allows skilled workers who are nominated by an Australian state or territory government to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.

Generally, you need to meet the following requirements:

  • have a relevant occupation
  • have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
  • meet the points test pass mark of 65 points
  • be nominated by a state or territory government
  • be under 45 years of age at time of invitation
  • have Competent English
  • be invited by the Department of Home Affairs to apply
Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)

You may be wondering what to do after you graduate. If you are thinking of staying on in Australia after you graduate, you may consider applying for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). This visa allows you and your family to live, study or work in Australia after you have completed your studies. There are two streams in this visa subclass, which are the Graduate Work Stream and Post-Study Work Stream.

Graduate Work Stream

The Graduate Work Stream is an 18-month visa granted to international students who recently completed their studies for at least 2 academic years (92 weeks) in Australia. You must lodge the visa application within 6 months of the date of completion of your course and must have completed an eligible qualification that relates to an occupation on the list of eligible skilled occupations. You must be able to pass the skills assessment for your nominated skilled occupation to apply for this visa. You will also need to meet certain health requirements and have no serious criminal records to pass the character assessment. You have to maintain adequate health insurance to obtain this visa.

Post Study Work Stream

The Post-Study Work Stream works way a bit differently from the Graduate Work Stream Visa. This visa is granted to international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. The visa is granted for a duration of 2 to 4 years depending on the highest qualification you achieve. You must complete your studies at the Bachelor, Masters or Doctoral levels for at least 2 academic years (92 weeks). You must lodge the visa application within 6 months of the date of completion of your course. You must have applied for and was granted your first student visa on or after 5 November 2011. You will also need to meet certain health requirements and have no serious criminal records to pass the character assessment. You have to maintain adequate health insurance to obtain this visa.

  • If you complete a Bachelor Degree, Bachelor Degree with Honours, Masters by Coursework Degree or Masters (extended) Degree, your visa is valid for 2 years
  • If you complete a Masters by Research Degree, your visa is valid for 3 years
  • If you complete a Doctoral Degree, your visa is valid for 4 years

You can enrol directly with an Australian education institution or use the services of our Education Agents in Australia to assist you with your school application and student visa application. Australian law requires institutions to use only Education Agents who act honestly and with integrity. Education Agents must provide you with accurate advice and information about courses and living in Australia. You should only engage the services of the Education Agent if they are able to assist you to enrol in a course that is suitable for you and will help you to achieve your learning goals.

ACEcelent Education & Migration will assist you to apply for your chosen course FREE OF CHARGE as the institution will pay us an administrative fee. We will also help you to apply for your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and guide and assist you with travel and accommodation arrangements. We will also follow up with you throughout your studies to assist you with any post-enrolment issues.

If you are interested to study in Australia, take the first step by contacting us for a FREE Assessment today.

About the Author

Galvin is a Registered Migration Agent and Qualified Education Agent Counsellor at ACEcelent Education and Migration, helping students to Study in Australia.

Rate this Article
Leave a Comment
Author Thumbnail
Please or Join to add a comment.
Author: Galvin Chong

Galvin Chong

Flag of Australia

Member since: Nov 01, 2018
Total live articles: 1

Related Articles