How to Make an App Like Instagram
Posted: Jun 12, 2019
Currently, Instagram is the leading social photo-sharing app in the world where 95 million pictures are posted daily. The number of monthly active Instagram users was 1 billion in 2018.
At first, Instagram started with a simple but unique feature - adhering a photo in a square with a few filters which allowed the company to receive greater investments and develop a solid project for major mobile platforms.
By the way, when Instagram was released, photo-sharing and editing tools existed separately on the market. As a result, the combination of both elements became the Unique Selling Proposition.
Today Instagram is a free photo-sharing app for Android and iOS smartphones, and there is also a web-based Instagram version for uploading and sharing photos. It is not a simple photo app, but a social platform offering wide functionality for business owners and marketing specialists.
Instagram as a Photo-editing App
It has lots of colorful filters and elements for adjusting photos. It allows users to change a photo’s size, adjust its brightness, contrast, structure, warmth, and use markers, texts, and other elements.
Instagram as an E-commerce Platform
Photo-sharing apps are the most engaging platforms which allow brands and companies to benefit by showcasing their products. Each transaction made via this platform lets Instagram earn commission.
Instagram as a Messenger
"Direct" is an integral part of the platform allowing users to share highlights, exchange ideas, and connect more deeply with other users.
Instagram is constantly updated with some new features, namely:
- IGTV - Instagram TV for vertical video sharing up to one-hour in length; it is now possible to create a personal channel.
- Stories - a section to share your highlights as a photo or short 15-second video.
- Shoppable posts - shopping tags connected to the posts allows users to make purchases directly from the app. This makes Instagram a significant sales channel.
- Nametags - a tool utilizing QR code principle. Allows for the creation of personalized "nametags" to be scanned by other individuals, who are then given the option to follow you. This makes it easier for users to connect and is a great asset for brands.
- New quick replies in Direct - the feature which will be used to save and customize generic responses, especially useful for business profiles.
- Explore page - redesigned app screen
How to Create an App Like Instagram Successfully
For beginners, the development of any mobile app needs a lot of planning and preparatory work. The process of building an app includes:
- Carry out market research to define your target audience and its preferences
- Evaluate competitive photo-sharing apps
- Finalize your unique and outstanding app concept
- Define your further strategy in terms of your goals with the project, budget, timeline, and technologies
- Prepare your marketing and PR strategy and start promoting the app from the early stages
- Create communication channels with your users to gain quick and up-to-date client feedback
- Select a capable development agency to design, develop, test, and launch your social photo-sharing app
- Keep up with the competitors and evolve the project further with additional functionality, design elements, and reach out to new user groups
Of course, photo-sharing application development requires significant investments. While creating an app you would like not only to implement your idea, but also to make money. Instagram’s profit model includes in-app advertising, sponsorship, and an online shopping platform.
Here you can get full information about what it takes to create a photo-sharing app like Instagram.