Top 5 Natural Remedies To Relieve Tooth Pain
Posted: Mar 02, 2019
We can all agree to the fact that nothing is more painful than a toothache. From tooth decay and dental abscess to impacted tooth and gum disease, the reasons for tooth pain can vary. The excruciating pain can be debilitating if not treated immediately. You could also lose your tooth, in the worst case scenario.
However, sometimes going to a dentist may not be possible, especially if your tooth starts to ache in the middle of the night. In such a scenario, it is always good to know how to cure toothache with home or natural remedies. Thus, to ensure you always have toothache solutions at hand, here is a list of top 5 natural remedies that can help relieve tooth pain.
- Warm Saltwater: Salt, works as a natural disinfectant and helps kill bacteria. Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater to remove food particles that might be stuck between your teeth/cavities. Saltwater can also help reduce inflammation and provide relief to sore throat. Best part, you can rinse your mouth with saltwater as often as you need, to treat your toothache.
- Peppermint Tea: This is an excellent natural remedy to numb tooth pain and to relieve inflammation. Peppermint contains menthol, which has anti-bacterial properties and can have a soothing effect on your irritated gums and teeth. While peppermint tea can be used to rinse your mouth, peppermint tea bags, if you are using those, can be directly applied to the affected area after its cool-down, but still slightly warm.
- Cold Compress: If your toothache is a result of an injury/accident, then a cold compress can be quite effective. When applied to the affected area, it can help constrict the blood vessels, thus, numbing the pain as well as reducing inflammation and swelling.
- Garlic: You can always depend on this humble kitchen ingredient to relieve tooth pain. Garlic contains medicinal properties that help alleviate pain. It also consists of anti-bacterial properties that help kill the bacteria which causes plaque. To make use of this remedy, all you need to do is crush garlic cloves and mix it with rock salt, make a paste and generously apply it to the affected tooth.
- Thyme Oil: Thyme contains the essential component Thymol which has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Rinse your mouth with Thyme oil to relieve tooth pain. You can also dip cotton into diluted thyme oil and apply it directly to the affected area.
Persistent tooth pain requires dentist attention post-haste. After determining the cause, the dentist will be able to provide you with effective solutions that’ll help alleviate tooth pain. However, for mild tooth pain, the above natural remedies may suffice until you schedule an appointment with your dentist.
To avoid tooth pain, a regular visit to the dentist is a must. This will prevent major complications which may require surgery or tooth removal. Brushing and flossing twice a day is also important for good oral care. Thus, always maintain good oral hygiene, as this will help keep toothaches at bay. And in the case, your tooth does ache, give these home and natural remedies a try.
Oris Dental is a well-known Sunshine Coast dental clinic providing excellent dental care treatment in Kawana, Caloundra and Maroochydore.