How to make an app like Uber?
Posted: Mar 22, 2019
In many cases, any taxi app development involves creating an app like Uber. Mainly using their business processes and strategy as a basis.
You have certainly heard about the term "uberisation," which comes from a taxi-hailing app Uber. Nowadays it is very succsesful because it reflects existing user behavior regarding efficient and economical transportation. Uber had earned more than $10 billion in revenue by the end of 2018. It was rated the second most disruptive innovation company worldwide.
Undoubtedly, Uber is the best taxi app on a global scale and is present in 600 cities across 65 countries. Despite competition from other similar apps, the company is still the major player in the ridesharing market.
The Uber app includes 5 sub-steps which are important to clarify from the customer perspective. So, to get a better understanding when asking - how to make an app like Uber, let's first examine the app functioning:
- Step 1. Creation of a trip request with the end destination. The user can observe the upfront pricing of a trip’s fare, which is also based on vehicle type among Uber categories.
- Step 2. Verification of the trip. User confirms the data and the pickup location.
- Step 3. Matching up with the nearby available driver. On their end, a driver can accept or decline a request.
- Step 4. Payment process is done automatically in-app after the ride is complete. Beforehand, the user adds a credit or debit card, PayPal account, ties Android or Apple Pay, etc. User may also change the default tip for the taxi service.
- Step 5. Rating is requested after each taxi ride and is a core component of Uber app business logic.
Uber app calculates the ride fares by combining time and distance indicators. If the vehicle is driving less than 11 mph (18km/h), the rider is charged per minute. If the car is moving faster, then the charge is per mile.
How to Make an App Like Uber: Functionality
If you want to make an app like Uber, it is important for you to understand the main components of this system. Every taxi service depends on the development of two distinct apps with unlike functionality which are interconnected with the help of an admin panel.
Besides, to build a taxi app booking service as a simple website, would be a fantastic idea which would help to gather interested users and driver requests for participation in the platform.
Below you will find out what features are essential for building an Uber-like app for each part of the service.
The main features for creating an app like Uber for the customer application are:
- Registration is possible with the help of email, Facebook, phone number with verification. Social media is the most widely used implementation of this feature.
- Taxi Booking is the feature which is represented on the screen for entering the address, selection of car type, and set pickup location.
- Fare Calculator helps the customer to check the price for a ride beforehand. It is a complex feature to implement on the backend side of the system.
- Driver Tracking is used for the observation of the driver’s movement to make updates during or after the journey.
- Payment can be done in many variants like in-app payment via credit cards, or simply in cash.
- Push Notifications are key features for informing which keeps passenger up-to-date with trip request status, driver arrival time, driver and car details, etc.
- Messaging helps to contact the driver from the app.
- Driver Rating & Review - evaluate the service (driver, vehicle, trip, etc.).
- Travel History - shows details from previous rides and transactions.
- Customer Support
The complete feature-list in a driver’s taxi app development includes:
Driver Profile & Status - verification process of a driver should be done from the administrator side of things (license, vehicle insurance etc). Status will inform as to the availability of a driver.
Trip Alert - ability to receive trip orders to accept or deny, including information regarding passenger’s location, route, travel history.
Push Notifications - used for alerts, taxi app booking information (location, route, payment etc.), trip changes, and completion.
Navigation & Route Optimization - offer the best trip route using Google Maps.
Driver Delivery Reports - provides statistical information regarding trips and earnings on a daily/ monthly basis.
How to Make an App Like Uber: Recommendations
For starters, consider your initial intentions on whether you want to build a taxi app similar to Uber or use its business model and develop an on-demand project. One option could be to develop a taxi-hailing app for local taxi drivers. For that, you would likely need to partner with taxi services or individual drivers.
Additionally, Uber has actually opened its API. Thus, it is possible to apply this API in different niches and industries. An Uber-like app can be created for services like:
- Beauty industry (e.g on-demand beauty services)
- Healthcare services
- Transportation services
- Local food & grocery delivery
- Delivery service for online retailers
- On-demand cleaning or home service
In conclusion, here is a list of points to help you prepare to create an app like Uber successfully:
- Create a business model based on the market demand for your kind of Uber-like application
- Analyze the demographics and define your key target audience - based on their needs, create your Uber-like service
- Define the USP (Unique Selling Points) of your Uber-like app and exactly why it is necessary to build a service similar to Uber. What is distinct about your app?
- Determine the minimum required functionality and platforms of the future application (MVP, for starters). Having the right basis can help you to scale the project further and add more advanced features
- Hire experienced and capable developers.
- Always learn from user feedback and make necessary adjustments along the way, as Uber-like app development is a long term engagement and liability
The main idea is not to build an Uber clone, but one more successful web & mobile app project. Just creating an Uber clone app is a bad tactic that will not necessarily lead to a greater fortune.
More details can be found here. In this article you will find out more about how to build an app like Uber.