Traditional project management
Posted: May 15, 2019
Traditional project management or Waterfall project management is mainly used on Projects where activities are completed in a sequence and there are rarely any changes.
The concept of traditional Project management
is based on predictable experience and predictable tools. Each project follows the same lifecycle, which includes five stages: initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing.The ultimate goal of waterfall project management was to make sure all the tasks are carried out in a predetermined orderly sequence.
The waterfall approach is linear where all the phases of a process occur in sequence. It depends on predictable tools and predictable experience. Every project follows the same life cycle which includes the stages.The project integration management processes are :
- Develop project charter
- Develop project management plan
- Direct and manage project work
- Manage project knowledge
- Monitor and control project work
- Perform integrated change control
- Close project or phase
A project is a temporary endeavor undertaken to produce a unique product or service.
Project management is the application of knowledge, skills, tools & technique to the project activities to meet the project requirement. Project management enables the organization to execute the projects effectively & efficiently.Project Management Process Groups:
The Processes are grouped together in to five process groups. The Logical grouping of project management processes to achieve specific project objectives are called Project Management Process Groups. Below are the five process groups:
- Initiating Process group: The processes part of initiating process group are performed at the time of new project or new phase of existing project.
- Planning Process group: The processes part of planning process groups helps in defining the plan for the project like defining scope, planning for schedule, cost, procurement, communications etc. This helps in defining the course for the project to achieve its objectives.
- Executing Process group: The processes in executing process group is performed to complete the defined work as per plan to satisfy the project stakeholders.
- Monitoring & Controlling Process group: As part of monitoring & controlling process group, the performance of project is tracked, monitored, reviewed & controlled. The variation from plan is derived & identify what changes are required to bring back the project on track.
- Closing Process group: The processes part of closing process group are done at the time of closing the project to close the projectformally.
A project charter is the document that states a project exists and provides the project manager written authority to begin project work.
A Project Charter is a document that describes the purpose of a project and its scope, it legally authorizes the beginning of the project.It provides a preliminary delineation of roles and responsibilities, outlines the project objectives, identifies the main stakeholders, and defines the authority of the project manager. It serves as a reference of authority for the future of the project.A project charter should:
Contain the essence of the project.Provide a shared understanding of the project.Act as a contract between the project sponsor, key stakeholders and the project team.
Develop project charter is the process of developing the project charter document that formally authorize the existence of the project and the project manager is given the authority to use organizational resources to project activities. Develop project charter is part of initiating process groups.The project charter is to documents:
- Reasons for undertaking the project
- Objectives and constraints of the project
- Directions concerning the solution
- Identifies the main stakeholders
- In-scope and out-of-scope items
- High level Risks identified
- Target project benefits
- High level budget and spending authority
Freelance Blogger www.thetips4you.com