Marriage registration certificate
Posted: Sep 05, 2019
ABOUT MARRIAGE REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE IN DELHI:
A Marriage Certificate is the legal proof of registration of a marriage. It is an important and valid document as it establishes the marital status of a couple. It can be said as an official statement that two people are married.
In India, Marriages can be registered either under:
- Hindu Marriage Act, 1955:
- Applicability: It is applicable only to the Hindus. It provides for registration of an already solemnised marriage.
- Special Marriage Act, 1954:
- Applicability: It is applicable to all citizens of India. It provides for solemnisation of a marriage as well as registration by a Marriage Officer.
Presently, it is mandatory for a couple to register their marriage irrespective of the religion they belong to.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR MARRIAGE REGISTRATION UNDER HINDU MARRIAGE ACT:
- Completely filled application form signed by both husband and wife
- Proof of Address (Voter ID/ Ration Card/ Passport/Driving License) of both husband and wife
- Proof of Date of Birth (Matriculation Certificate / Passport / Birth Certificate) of both husband and wife
- 2 passport size photographs of both husband and wife
- 1 marriage photograph
- Marriage Invitation Card
- If marriage was solemnized in a religious place, a certificate from the priest is required who solemnized the marriage.
- Separate affidavits by both husband and wife stating place and date of marriage, date of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality.
- Aadhaar Card
- Affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the degree of prohibited relationship defined in the Hindu Marriage Act.
- In case of widow/ widower, attested copy of death certificate of spouse.
- In case of divorcee, attested copy of divorce order.
All documents must be self-attested.
ELIGIBILITY FOR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE :
- Under Hindu Marriage Act-
- For Males: Minimum age limit is 21 years.
- For Females: Minimum age limit is 18 years.
- The parties to a Hindu marriage should be unmarried or divorced, or if previously married, the spouse by that marriage should not be alive.
- Under Special Marriage Act-
Minimum age of both i.e., male and female is 21 years at the time of registration.
WHY YOU NEED TO REGISTER MARRIAGE:
- It is helpful in getting Passport/Visa.
- It is a legal evidence of marriage under law.
- It provides social security and protection to women.
- It is needed for changing your maiden name.
- It will be helpful in claiming Bank Deposits, Life Insurance or any other investments or property in case of sudden demise of spouse when you need to prove about your marriage.
Q1. Which is the office where do I have to go for marriage registration certificate and during which hours?
Ans. For marriage Registration, one can go to the office of Sub-Divisional Magistrate in whose jurisdiction any of the husband or wife resides, during 9.30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. on any working day.
Q2. How much time it takes place for response from department?
Ans. Normally it takes 15 days in case of registration of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act and 60 days under Special Marriage Act.
Q3. Is it mandatory to register marriage?
Ans. In 2006, the Supreme Court made it compulsory to register the marriage for the women protection.
Q4. Within how many days after marriage do I need to apply for marriage registration?
Ans. The parties to a marriage shall apply for marriage certificate within a period of 30 days from the date of marriage.
Q5. What are the laws under which marriages can be registered?
Ans. There are two laws under which marriage registration can be done:
- Hindu Marriage Act
- Special Marriage Act
Ezzus India Private Limited is a platform to simplify to start business and after related matters. We are committed to helping startups and small business in solving legal compliance related to starting and running their business or licenses and regi