Why stainless steel is the most popular material for Pipes, Tubes, and Fittings?
Posted: Oct 31, 2019
With the world around us made of plumbing system that comprises of Pipes, Tubes and Fittings, it requires the effective supply of water and the drainage system. Plumbing system are designed to cater the different systems like plumbing, irrigation, drainage etc. The pipes, tubes and fittings used for the supplying of the water may be different from the pipes, tubes and fittings required for the drainage system. Though different materials like stainless steel, copper, aluminium etc are used to create the pipes, tubes and fittings, not one material can carter to each requirement. Stainless steel is the most popular material considered for pipes, tubes and fittings. Some of the reasons that contribute to selection of stainless steel material over others are listed below:
- Anti-Corrosion property– This is the primary attribute of the stainless steel that makes it as a suitable material for manufacturing of pipes, tubes and fittings. The oxide layer on the steel surface provides the protection from the chemicals. Stainless steel makes the stainless steel material a speciality where food contact is required.
- Strength – Some alloys ofstainless steel have loweststrength to weight ratio of the other material thus making it perfect for the low weight options.Stainless steel has higher tensile strength when compared to other alloys.
- Elongation – Elongation is the property of material that defines how much a material can lengthens before breaking up.The greater the elongation, the less prone is the material to fracture. Stainless steel has the greater elongation and hence the best choice.
- Versatility – Stainless steel is a well known material for its versatile property.Modifications can be made to its alloy configuration easily that creates a material that will be appropriate for the work that is required.
- Less preparation time – Stainless steel pipes, tubes and fittings require less preparation time as per the specifications before the assembly and hence requires less time for implementation of the plumbing system in the place.
- Low and High Temperature resistance – Stainless steel is able to maintain its strength at both low and high temperature. This is the reason it is considered a perfect fit for installation underground and at elevated temperatures.
Stainless steel Applications for Piping-
One need to be clear with the benefits of corrosion resistant metal and so is why it is the most common property of piping applications. Pipes and tubes in wide variety of shapes and sizes. One of the common application or alloys for piping is stainless steel grade 304. 304 offers strong chemical resistance, an added bonus for materials exposed to high amounts of water, especially in industrial settings.
Another application is stainless steel pressure pipe. This grade is made up of solid chromium, or alternatively, a chromium-nickel mixture. Applications include- seamless pipe, welded pipe, electric fusion welded pipe, and large diameter welded pipe.
Stainless Steel for Tubes-
Tubes made up of