Little white must-have
Posted: Aug 08, 2014
Most ladies understand what is meant by the LBD or ‘little black dress’ but what about this season’s little white dress (LWD)? Not only is it ideal to help beat the heat this August, it is also a perfect, time-less addition for your summer wardrobe.
However, there are some rules that must be followed in order to pull it off.
- Choose the correct shade and fit: Cool skin tones should wear bright white and ladies with darker skin should stick to cream or ivory. Make sure that you have the right cut for your body and it is not too clingy or you will see every single roll and ripple.
- Give it the hand test: Make sure that the fabric is not too transparent. Hold the dress up to the light and place your hand behind the fabric to check how the rest of your body will show underneath. If you are okay with it then make sure you are wearing the right undergarments.
View pictures: evening dresses online
- Undergarment choices: Match your skin tone to the underwear and brassiere because, believe it or not, white can be seen behind your white dress.
- Play with colour: A white dress makes a great canvass but don’t go too crazy. You can play with modern colours, metallics, jewels and sparkle with your accessories but always remember less is more.
- Glam it up: The LWD is not just for picnics and day parties because with the right fabric and cut you can tackle any black tie event. Pair your dress with black shoes and a fancy clutch to complete any night look.
- Dress it down: For a more casual look you can add a denim jacket and leather boots in order to bring out a ‘country’ flare. If you are heading to a local festival, cinch the waist with a leather belt, add some hoop earrings and gladiator sandals and you will fit right in.
While out on the weekend I popped into various outlets in order to give our GulfWeekly readers some ideas on pricing and choice for their own LWD.
Disparaging the old adage that some body shapes should avoid white, in Evans they have a perfect white piece for the more robust woman. This dress has a patterned embroidered lace over-lay and a black retro mod-like collar for BD35. The quality is good and comes in various plus-sizes.
In New Look they had a floral cotton embroidered skater for BD16.500 that would be perfect for the beach when paired with sandals.
There is also a fitted crème coloured V-neck peplum selling for only BD15. This pick would be ideal for the office and anyone with a darker complexion because it is not bright white.
They also have a white daisy sleeveless skater on sale for only BD14.500, which, paired with silver flats, would dress it up just enough for a brunch or pool-side gathering.
The Gap is famous for its cool casual pieces and while in-store I found a cotton sleeveless white dress in various sizes for BD14.500. It felt so crisp and comfortable that I thought it could easily be worn around the home or for tea with the ladies.
Mango had LWDs that seemed more suitable for formal events with no shortage of choice. To top it off there is a 50 per cent off sale right now, on a selection of dresses. I found a white lace dress for BD9, shirt dress for BD11, white shift dress at BD9 and BD15 for a sleeveless embroidered piece in white cotton.
I wandered over to the far left corner of the store and that’s when I ran into 28-year-old Barbara Kuzniecow who is an expat from Poland admiring my favourite pick of the week.
A sleeveless, flowy white dress in a soft satin finish with a round neck, decorative pleats, chiffon inner lining with an adorable keyhole detail on the back. It is breath-taking and on sale for only BD13.See also: GraziaDressAU cocktail dresses
Share the latest fashion news,beauty tips,celebrity styles.View now.