Natural Food Colors and their Benefits
Posted: Mar 05, 2015
When we talk about what should be included in a balanced diet, the first thing that comes to our mind is the nutrients. But, did you know that a balanced diet can be created by having different colored foods? Yes, that is true. Colors play a very vital role in our diet. There has been a significant increase in the use of Natural Food Colors in India as they provide a tempting look to the food and also have many health benefits for us.
Natural Food Colors:
The most commonly used Natural Food Colors in India are:
- Annatto: Extracted from the seeds of achiote, it imparts a reddish-orange color to the food.
- Betanin: Obtained from beets, it is a red glycosidic food dye, also known as Beetroot Red.
- Butterfly Pea: It is a blue color pigment, also known as Clitoria Ternatea.
- Caramel Coloring: It is prepared from caramelized sugar.
- Chlorophyllin: Made from chlorella algae, it gives green color to food.
- Elderberry Juice: There are various species of this plant, used for imparting light yellow, blue-black and red color.
- Turmeric: Been used as a yellow dye for food since ages.
- Saffron: Gives a yellow-orange color to food.
Let us read ahead to find out what the benefits of Natural Food Colors are...
- Looks matter: Eating does not only involve the sense of taste. The look, texture and smell are also important to make it more tantalizing. If the appearance of food placed in front of you is dull, burnt or colorless, you will not find it appetizing; in fact some may even lose their appetite seeing such food. Therefore, it is essential to make it look good by the use of Natural Food Colors.
- Presence of Bioflavonoids: Bioflavonoids are color pigments naturally present in fruits and vegetables. They are known to have many benefits, such as, help in maintaining healthy capillaries. They play a crucial role in preventing easy bruising, hemorrhages and other circulatory problems. Certain studies have concluded that bioflavonoids neutralize cancer cells and wipe out mutagens and carcinogens, thus preventing cancer.
- Contain Polyphenols: Natural Food Colors have a chemical substance named, polyphenols, found in plants. They are endowed with antioxidant properties that help in fighting free radicals, preventing cardiac and cancer problems. Polyphenols also slow down the process of ageing.
The use of Natural Food Colors is completely safe. Before buying these Natural Food Colors, you can assure yourself about the quality by checking if they have been approved by the government.
Alvin Caramel Colours (India) Private Ltd, a Maharashtra based Company, a leading Manufacturers, Exporters and Suppliers of Caramel Colours etc.